- Python Basic Tutorial
- Python - Home
- Python - Overview
- Python - Environment Setup
- Python - Basic Syntax
- Python - Comments
- Python - Variables
- Python - Data Types
- Python - Operators
- Python - Decision Making
- Python - Loops
- Python - Numbers
- Python - Strings
- Python - Lists
- Python - Tuples
- Python - Dictionary
- Python - Date & Time
- Python - Functions
- Python - Modules
- Python - Files I/O
- Python - Exceptions
- Python Advanced Tutorial
- Python - Classes/Objects
- Python - Reg Expressions
- Python - CGI Programming
- Python - Database Access
- Python - Networking
- Python - Sending Email
- Python - Multithreading
- Python - XML Processing
- Python - GUI Programming
- Python - Further Extensions
Python program to search an element in a doubly linked list
When it is required to search for an element in a doubly linked list, a ‘Node’ class needs to be created. In this class, there are three attributes, the data that is present in the node, the access to the next node of the linked list, and the access to the previous node of the linked list.
Another class needs to be created that would have an initialization function, and the head of the node would be initialized to ‘None’ inside this.
Multiple methods are defined by the user to add node to the linked list, to display the nodes it and to search for a specific node in the linked list.
In a doubly linked list, the nodes have pointers. The current node would have a pointer to the next node as well as the previous node. The last value in the list will have ‘NULL’ value in the next pointer. It can be traversed in both the directions.
Below is a demonstration for the same −
class Node: def __init__(self, my_data): self.previous = None self.data = my_data self.next = None class double_list: def __init__(self): self.head = None self.tail = None def add_data(self, my_data): new_node = Node(my_data) if(self.head == None): self.head = self.tail = new_node self.head.previous = None self.tail.next = None else: self.tail.next = new_node new_node.previous = self.tail self.tail = new_node self.tail.next = None def print_it(self): curr = self.head if (self.head == None): print("The list is empty") return print("The nodes in the doubly linked list are :") while curr != None: print(curr.data) curr = curr.next def search_node(self, val_to_search): i = 1; flag_val = False; curr = self.head; if(self.head == None): print("List is empty") return while(curr != None): if(curr.data == val_to_search): flag_val = True break curr = curr.next i = i + 1 if(flag_val): print("The node is present in the list at position : ") print(i) else: print("The node isn't present in the list") my_instance = double_list() print("Elements are being added to the doubly linked list") my_instance.add_data(10) my_instance.add_data(24) my_instance.add_data(54) my_instance.add_data(77) my_instance.add_data(24) my_instance.add_data(0) my_instance.print_it() print("The element 77 is being searched... ") my_instance.search_node(77) print("The element 7 is being searched... ") my_instance.search_node(7)
Elements are being added to the doubly linked list The nodes in the doubly linked list are : 10 24 54 77 24 0 The element 77 is being searched... The node is present in the list at position : 4 The element 7 is being searched... The node isn't present in the list
- The ‘Node’ class is created.
- Another class with required attributes is created.
- Another method named ‘add_data’ is defined, that is used to add data to the circular linked list.
- Another method named ‘search_node’ is defined, that takes a parameter that needs to be searched for in the doubly linked list.
- It searches for the element and returns the index
- Another method named ‘print_it’ is defined that is used to display the linked list data on the console.
- An object of the ‘double_list’ class is created, and the methods are called on it to add data.
- The ‘search_node’ method is called.
- It iterates through the nodes in the linked list, and gives the index of the element if found.
- This is displayed on the console using the ‘print_it’ method.
- Related Articles
- Python program to search an element in a Circular Linked List
- Python Program to Find the Largest Element in a Doubly Linked List
- Java Program to Search an Element in a Circular Linked List
- Python Program to Search for an Element in the Linked List without using Recursion
- Python program to create and display a doubly linked list
- Searching an Element in Doubly Circular Linked List using C++
- Python program to rotate doubly linked list by N nodes
- Python program to create a doubly linked list from a ternary tree
- Python program to convert a given binary tree to doubly linked list
- C++ Program to Implement Doubly Linked List
- Python program to remove duplicate elements from a Doubly Linked List\n
- C++ Program to Implement Circular Doubly Linked List
- C++ Program to Implement Sorted Doubly Linked List
- Convert an Array to a Circular Doubly Linked List in C++
- Program to create linked list to binary search tree in Python