- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Python program to calculate the number of digits and letters in a string
Let us suppose that we have a string and we have to calculate the total number of digits and letters present in the string.
s = “tutorialsP0int”
Letters: 13 Digits: 1
Total number of letters and digits present in the given string are 13 and 1.
Approach to Solve this Problem
To calculate the total number of letters and digits in the given string, we have to first iterate over the whole string. If we get an alphabet, then we increment the letter count; otherwise, if we extract a digit, then increment the digit count.
Take an input string.
While iterating over the whole string, if we find a digit, then increment the count of digits; otherwise, if we find a letter, then increment the count of letters.
Return the count of letters and digits as the output.
str = "tutorialsP0int" digit=letter=0 for ch in str: if ch.isdigit(): digit=digit+1 elif ch.isalpha(): letter=letter+1 else: pass print("Letters:", letter) print("Digits:", digit)
Running the above code will generate the output as follows −
Letters: 13 Digits: 1
- Python Program to Calculate the Number of Words and the Number of Characters Present in a String
- C++ Program to Find the Number of Vowels, Consonants, Digits and White Spaces in a String
- Write a program in Python to count the number of digits in a given number N
- Java Program to count letters in a String
- Python Program to Find the Sum of Digits in a Number without Recursion
- Golang Program to Count the Number of Digits in a Number
- How to sort the letters in a string alphabetically in Python?
- Program to find the sum of all digits of given number in Python
- Program to find list of all possible combinations of letters of a given string s in Python
- How to generate random strings with upper case letters and digits in Python?
- Program to find number of subsequences with i, j and k number of x, y, z letters in Python
- Check if the String contains only unicode letters or digits in Java
- Python Program to Calculate the Length of a String Without Using a Library Function
- Python Program to calculate the cube root of the given number
- Python Program to calculate the logarithm gamma of the given number