- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Why are convex mirror preferred over plane mirrors as rear view mirrors?
A convex mirror always forms virtual, erect and diminished images irrespective of the distance of the object.
Since the image is diminished, it enables a driver to view a large area of the traffic behind him.
If we use a plane mirror, we do not get a good view of the traffic as the size of the image is the same as the size of the object.
This is the reason why convex mirrors are used as rear view mirrors in vehicles.
- Related Articles
- State the type of mirror preferred asi. Rear view mirrors in vehiclesii. Shaving mirrors. Justify your answer giving two reasons in each case
- Are spherical mirrors and plane mirrors same?
- Explain why, concave mirrors are used as shaving mirrors.
- Concave and Convex Mirrors Spherical Mirrors
- Why do we use Convex Mirrors ?
- Why does a driver prefer to use a convex mirror as a rear-view mirror in a vehicle?
- What Are Convex And Concave Mirrors?
- The laws of reflection hold true for :(a) plane mirrors only (b) concave mirrors only(c) convex mirrors only (d) all reflecting surfaces
- Which of the following are concave mirrors and which convex mirrors?Shaving mirrors, Car headlight mirror, Searchlight mirror, Driving mirror, Dentist's inspection mirror, Touch mirror, Staircase mirror in a double-decker bus, Make-up mirror, Solar furnace mirror, Satellite TV dish, Shop security mirror.
- Why do torches and car reflectors use convex mirrors?
- If a driver has one convex and one plane rear-view mirror, how would the images in each mirror appear different?
- Why can you not use a concave mirror as a rear-view mirror in vehicles?
- What is the advantage of using a convex mirror as a rear-view mirror in vehicles as compared to a plane mirror? Illustrate your answer with the help of labelled diagrams.
- What are the differences between Concave And Convex Mirrors?
- An erect and enlarged image can be formed by$(a)$. only a convex mirror.$(b)$. only a concave mirror.$(c)$. only a plane mirror.$(d)$. both convex and concave mirrors.