- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Work out the formula for sulphur dioxide. (Valencies : S = 4; O = 2)
Valency of Sulphur = 4
Valency of Oxygen = 2
Elements : S O
Valency : 4 2
Formula for sulphur dioxide can be worked out by crossing the valency of the constituent elements.
Thus, formula of sulphur dioxide is S2O4.
The formula has a common factor of 2.
Therefore, dividing the formula by the common factor gives chemical formula: SO2.
- Related Articles
- Work out the formula for magnesium hydrogen carbonate.
- Name the elements water is made of. What are the valencies of these elements? Work out the chemical formula for water.
- If the valency of carbon is 4 and that of sulphur is 2, work out the formula of the compound formed by the combination of carbon with sulphur. What is the name of this compound?
- An element which can exhibit valencies of 2, 4, and 6 can be :(a) copper (b) iron (c) mercury (d) sulphur
- Find the value of $2^o+3^o+4^o$.
- How is sulphur dioxide produced in the atmosphere?
- Which contains more molecules, 10 g of sulphur dioxide (SO2) or 10 g of oxygen (O2)?(Atomic masses : S = 32 u ; O = 16 u)
- If the valency of hydrogen is 1 and that of nitrogen is 3, work out the formula for ammonia.
- If 1 gram of sulphur dioxide contains x molecules, how many molecules will be present in 1 gram of oxygen?(S = 32 u ; O = 16 u)
- Write The Formula Of Carbon Dioxide And Water
- Kaufman's Adaptive Moving Average (KAMA) – Formula and how does it work?
- The 'set up', used in the laboratory, to collect sulphur dioxide, is that shown in figure :(1) I (2) II (3) III (4) IV"\n
- The formula of carbon dioxide is CO2. What information do you get from this formula?
- The most poisonous product formed by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels is(a) Carbon dioxide (b) Nitrogen dioxide(c) Carbon monoxide (d) Sulphur dioxide
- Four gas jars filled with sulphur dioxide gas were inverted into troughs of water by four students and the following observations and inference were reported:(a) Water did not enter the gas jar and sulphur dioxide is insoluble in water. (b) A small amount of water entered the gas jar slowly and sulphur dioxide is sparingly soluble in water.(c) Water rushed into the gas jar and sulphur dioxide is highly soluble in water.(d) Water did not enter the gas jar and sulphur dioxide is soluble in water. The correct set of observations and inference drawn is reported in :(1) (a)(2) (b)(3) (c)(4) (d)"