- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Observe live hydra yourself and learn how they reproduce by doing the following activity:
During the summer months collect water weeds from ponds or ditches along with the pond water and put them in a glass jar. After a day or so you may see several hydra clinging to the sides of the jar.
Hydra is transparent, jelly-like and with tentacles. It clings to the jar with the base of its body. If the jar is shaken, the hydra will contract instantly into a small blob, at the same time drawing its tentacles in.
Now take out few hydras from the jar and put them on a watch glass. Using a hand lens or a binocular or dissection microscope, observe the changes that are taking place in their body. Note down your observations.
While observing under a microscope, the hydra changes its size and shape to under asexual reproduction. Hydra is an animal with tentacles and has a small outgrowth called bud on one side of its body.
During budding, a small bulb-like projection known as the bud develops on the body of the parent organism. The bud continues to grow on the parent until it develops and matures into a miniature adult.
After complete maturation, the bud pinches off from the parent\'s body and attains the ability to develop independently. The new Hydra detaches itself from its parent and starts living as a separate organism.
This bud gradually grows into a full hydra, developing its mouth and tentacles.
Hydra is a fresh-water organism that belongs to the phylum Coelenterata and class Hydrozoa. They possess characteristics of a tube-shaped body with numerous tentacles present on the sides of the tube. It also possesses a radial symmetrical body and special stinging cells known as nematocytes that help feed. These organisms lack internal organs and a well-developed central nervous system.]
- What are amphibious fishes? Can they live outside water?
- How to keep house cool during summer without using ACs and coolers?
- How to remove the summer tan from your skin?
- How to recognize and protect yourself from Cybercrime?
- What do truck-drivers eat during the long journeys they take?
- How to store and reproduce jQuery events?
- How to Protect Yourself from ATM Skimming?
- How to opt out of interest based advertising and stop the ads from following you
- Select dates between current date and 3 months from the current date in MySQL?
- How do I calculate the date six months from the current date using the datetime Python module?
- What were the inventions and discoveries during the Indus Valley Civilization?
- How to set the ringtone in Android from Android activity using Kotlin?
- How to pass an image from one activity another activity in Android?
- How to improve yourself in life?
- How to pass an image from one activity to another activity in Kotlin?
- How to use the collect() method in Stream API in Java 9?