- Mixed Martial Arts Tutorial
- Mixed Martial Arts - Home
- Mixed Martial Arts - Overview
- Mixed Martial Arts - Rules
- Mixed Martial Arts - Combat Forms
- Mixed Martial Arts - Techniques
- Mixed Martial Arts - Injuries
- Mixed Martial Arts - Local Bodies
- Mixed Martial Arts - Championships
- Mixed Martial Arts Useful Resources
- Mixed Martial Arts - Quick Guide
- Mixed Martial Arts - Resources
- Mixed Martial Arts - Discussion
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Mixed Martial Arts - Injuries
Since the first UFC in 1993, MMA competitions have changed a lot mainly because of the introduction of the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts. Things can get really dirty inside the cage when both the fighters get to the farthest of their skills, sport, and spirit.
Rate of injuries
Recently in a meta-analysis which showed injury data in MMA, it was found that −
Incidences of injuries were estimated to be about 228.7 injuries in every 1000 fights.
This data is greater than that of judo (44/1000), taekwondo (79.4/1000), amateur boxing (77.7/1000), professional boxing (118 to 250.6/1000).
Patterns of injuries
The injury pattern in MMA is quite similar to that of professional boxing. The most commonly injured body part is the head, then the wrists, then fractures, and the least are concussions.
Mental health of fighters
It has been found out that fighters with more than 6 years of experience in these types of fights, were observed to have reductions in their size of hippocampus and thalamus and fighters with more than 12 years of experience in the same were observed to have reductions in memory and alertness as a result of reduction in their hippocampus and thalamus.
Till date, there have been seven known deaths in and due to MMA. All these cases are incidents after 2007 as before then there were no documented cases of deaths in MMA.
From 2007 to 2010, two fighters had died because of the fights, Sam Vasquez on 30th of November in 2007 and Michael Kirkham from South Carolina on June 28th of 2010.