- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Keyed Hash for Message Authentication using Python
The HMAC is a framework, it is used to message authentication using cryptographic hash functions. HMAC can be used for MD5, SHA-1 etc.
The basic idea to generate cryptographic hash, is perform the hashing on the actual data and secret key. The final output is sent without the secret key.
To use this module, we need to import the hmac module in the python code.
Some methods and attributes of the hmac module are as follows −
This method is used to update the hmac object with the given message. Repeated call of this function is equivalent with the single call with concatenated arguments.
This method is used to return the digested data which is passed through the update method. The size of the byte object is same as the digest_size. It may contain bytes in the whole range from 0 to 255.
This method is same as the digest method but the result will contain only hexadecimal values. This method is used to send data through the internet very easily.
This method is used to make a copy of the hmac object. To compute the digest of strings in a more efficient way, the copy() method is useful.
import hashlib import hmac update_bytes = b'Python123' password = b'abcde1234' my_hmac = hmac.new(update_bytes, password, hashlib.md5) #Create hash using md5 algorithm print("The first digest: " + str(my_hmac.digest())) print("The Canonical Name: " + my_hmac.name) my_hmac_cpy = my_hmac.copy() #Create a copy of the hmac object print("The Copied digest: " + str(my_hmac_cpy.digest()))
The first digest: b"\x1c\xe1\xfb\x9b\xd4\x8bu\xb9\xe6N6\xee\x00O'}" The Canonical Name: hmac-md5 The Copied digest: b"\x1c\xe1\xfb\x9b\xd4\x8bu\xb9\xe6N6\xee\x00O'}"
- Keyed-Hashing for Message Authentication in python
- How Does a Message Authentication Code Work?
- MD5 hash encoding using Python?
- What are the requirements of Message Authentication Codes (MAC)?
- Using djoser in Django for token authentication without views
- How to generate a 24bit hash using Python?
- How to Find Hash of File using Python?
- How to disable basic authentication for windows server using PowerShell?
- Secure hashes and message digests using Python (hashlib)
- Generating hash ids using uuid3() and uuid5() in Python
- How to enable the basic authentication for windows servers using PowerShell?
- Handling Browser Authentication using Selenium
- IPC using Message Queues