- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
java variable declaration
A variable provides us with named storage that our programs can manipulate. Each variable in Java has a specific type, which determines the size and layout of the variable's memory; the range of values that can be stored within that memory; and the set of operations that can be applied to the variable.
You must declare all variables before they can be used. Following is the basic form of a variable declaration -
data type variable [ = value][, variable [ = value] ...] ;
Here data type is one of Java's data types and the variable is the name of the variable. To declare more than one variable of the specified type, you can use a comma-separated list.
Following are valid examples of variable declaration and initialization in Java -
int a, b, c; // Declares three ints, a, b, and c. int a = 10, b = 10; // Example of initialization byte B = 22; // initializes a byte type variable B. double pi = 3.14159; // declares and assigns a value of PI. char a = 'a'; // the char variable a iis initialized with value 'a'
- Related Articles
- Java variable declaration best practices
- Explain the variable declaration, initialization and assignment in C language
- Explain variable declaration and rules of variables in C language
- Difference between Definition and Declaration in Java.
- Initialization, declaration and assignment terms in Java
- Class declaration with one method in Java
- Reference static field after declaration in Java
- Can abstract method declaration include throws clause in java?
- Java static variable
- Java variable naming rules
- Java Variable Narrowing Example
- Java Variable Widening Example
- Instance variable in Java
- Final variable in Java
- Class declaration with a method that has a parameter in Java