- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How to subset an R data frame based on numerical and categorical column?
Subsetting is one of the commonly used technique which serves many different purposes depending on the objective of analysis. To subset a data frame by excluding a column with the help of dplyr package, we can follow the below steps −
- Creating a data frame.
- Subsetting the data frame based on numerical as well as categorical column at the same time with the help of filter function of dplyr package.
Create the data frame
Let's create a data frame as shown below −
Level<-sample(c("Low","Medium","High"),20,replace=TRUE) Score<-sample(1:10,20,replace=TRUE) Dat<-data.frame(Level,Score) Dat
On executing, the above script generates the below output(this output will vary on your system due to randomization) −
Level Score 1 High 4 2 Low 7 3 High 1 4 Medium 6 5 Medium 10 6 High 9 7 High 9 8 Low 3 9 Low 3 10 High 4 11 Low 5 12 Medium 3 13 High 8 14 High 10 15 High 5 16 Low 8 17 High 10 18 High 7 19 Low 10 20 Low 6
Subsetting based on numerical and categorical column
Loading dplyr package and subsetting Dat when Score column is greater than 5 and Level is equal to Low −
library(dplyr) Level<-sample(c("Low","Medium","High"),20,replace=TRUE) Score<-sample(1:10,20,replace=TRUE) Dat<-data.frame(Level,Score) Dat%>%filter(Score>5,Level=="Low")
Level Score 1 Low 7 2 Low 8 3 Low 10 4 Low 6
- How to divide row values of a numerical column based on categorical column values in an R data frame?
- How to subset an R data frame with condition based on only one value from categorical column?
- How to remove duplicate rows and sort based on a numerical column an R data frame?
- How to subset rows based on criterion of multiple numerical columns in R data frame?
- How to subset an R data frame based on small letters?
- Replace numerical column values based on character column values in R data frame.
- How to subset rows of an R data frame based on duplicate values in a particular column?
- How to create a subset of an R data frame based on multiple columns?
- How to find the mean of a numerical column by two categorical columns in an R data frame?
- How to find the sum based on a categorical variable in an R data frame?
- How to find the sum of numerical columns based on the combination of values in categorical columns in R data frame?
- How to sort a numerical factor column in an R data frame?
- How to subset a data frame based on a vector values in R?
- How to subset row values based on columns name in R data frame?
- How to find the table of mean of a numerical column based on two factors in R data frame?