- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How to read a text file in Python?
A text file is the file containing simple text. Python provides inbuilt functions to read, create and write text files. We will discuss how to read a text file in Python.
There are three ways to read a text file in Python −
read() − This method reads the entire file and returns a single string containing all the contents of the file .
readline() − This method reads a single line from the file and returns it as string.
readlines() − This method reads all the lines and return them as the list of strings.
Read a file in Python
Let there be a text file named “myfile.txt”. We need to open the file in read mode. The read mode is specified by “r”. The file can be opened using open(). The two parameters passed are the name of the file and the mode in which the file needs to be opened.
file=open("myfile.txt","r") print("read function: ") print(file.read()) print() file.seek(0) #Take the cursor back to begining of the file since the read() takes the cursor to the end of file print("readline function:") print(file.readline()) print() file.seek(0) #Take the cursor back to beginning of file print("readlines function:") print(file.readlines()) file.close()
read function: This is an article on reading text files in Python. Python has inbuilt functions to read a text file. We can read files in three different ways. Create a text file which you will read later. readline function: This is an article on reading text files in Python. readlines function: ['This is an article on reading text files in Python.\n', 'Python has inbuilt functions to read a text file.\n', 'We can read files in three different ways.\n', 'Create a text file which you will read later.']
As clear from the output −
The read function() reads and returns the whole file.
The readline() function reads and returns only one line.
The readlines() function reads and returns all the lines as list of the strings.
- How to read a text file in Selenium with python?
- How to read a text file with C++?
- How to read a simple text file in Android App?
- How to read a text file from resources in Kotlin?
- How to read an entire line from a text file using Python?
- How to read text file into a list or array with Python?
- How to read a number of characters from a text file using Python?
- How to read complete text file line by line using Python?
- Read Data from a Text File using C++
- How to read CSV file in Python?
- How to read JSON file in Python
- How to open a file just to read in python?
- Read integers from a text file with C++ ifstream
- How to read a simple text file in an Android App using Kotlin?
- How to work with a text file in Python?