- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How to get the index of selected option in Tkinter Combobox?
If you want to create a dropdown list of items and enable the items of list to be selected by the user, then you can use the Combobox widget. The Combobox widget allows you to create a dropdown list in which the list of items can be selected instantly. However, if you want to get the index of selected items in the combobox widget, then you can use the get() method. The get() method returns an integer of the selected item known as the index of the item.
Let’s take an example to see how it works. In this example, we have created a list of days of weeks in a dropdown list and whenever the user selects a day from the dropdown list, it will print and display the index of selected item on a Label widget. To print the index, we can concatenate the string by typecasting the given index into string.
# Import the required libraries from tkinter import * from tkinter import ttk # Create an instance of tkinter frame or window win = Tk() # Set the size of the window win.geometry("700x350") # Create a function to clear the combobox def clear_cb(): cb.set('') # Define Days Tuple days= ('Sun','Mon','Tue','Wed','Thu','Fri','Sat') # Function to print the index of selected option in Combobox def callback(*arg): Label(win, text= "The value at index " + str(cb.current()) + " is" + " "+ str(var.get()), font= ('Helvetica 12')).pack() # Create a combobox widget var= StringVar() cb= ttk.Combobox(win, textvariable= var) cb['values']= days cb['state']= 'readonly' cb.pack(fill='x',padx= 5, pady=5) # Set the tracing for the given variable var.trace('w', callback) # Create a button to clear the selected combobox text value button= Button(win, text= "Clear", command= clear_cb) button.pack() win.mainloop()
Running the above code will display a combobox widget with a list of days. Whenever you select a day from the list, it will print the index and the corresponding item on the label widget.
- Related Articles
- How to disable a Combobox in Tkinter?
- How to get selected Index of the Radio group in Android?
- How to get selected option using Selenium WebDriver with Java?
- How to get selected option using Selenium WebDriver with Python?
- Combobox Widget in Python Tkinter
- How to get the selected index of a RadioGroup in Android using Kotlin?
- How to remove multiple selected items in the listbox in Tkinter?
- Set a default value for a ttk Combobox in Tkinter?
- Adding coloured text to selected text in Tkinter
- How to get the width of the Tkinter widget?
- How to get the screen size in Tkinter?
- How to specify that an option should be pre-selected when the page loads in HTML?
- How to edit a comboBox in JavaFX?