- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How to get coordinates on scrollable canvas in Tkinter?
The canvas widget has two coordinate systems: (a) Window coordinate system and (b) canvas coordinate system. The window coordinate system always starts from the leftmost corner (0,0) in the window, while the canvas coordinate system specifies where the items are actually placed in the canvas.
To convert the window coordinate system to canvas coordinate system, we can use the following two methods,
If we consider the case for the window coordinate system, then mouse events occur only in the window coordinate system. We can convert the window coordinate to a canvas coordinate system.
In this application, we will get the position of the mouse pointer inside a canvas widget.
# Import the required libraries from tkinter import * # Create an instance of tkinter frame or window win = Tk() # Set the size of the window win.geometry("700x350") # Create a canvas widget canvas = Canvas(win) canvas.pack() def on_button_pressed(event): start_x = canvas.canvasx(event.x) start_y = canvas.canvasy(event.y) print("start_x, start_y =", start_x, start_y) def on_button_motion(event): end_x = canvas.canvasx(event.x) end_y = canvas.canvasy(event.y) print("end_x, end_y=", end_x, end_y) # Bind the canvas with Mouse buttons canvas.bind("<Button-1>", on_button_pressed) canvas.bind("<Button1-Motion>", on_button_motion) # Add a Label widget in the window Label(win, text="Move the Mouse Pointer and click " "anywhere on the Canvas").pack() win.mainloop()
Running the above code will display a window.
If we move the mouse pointer and click anywhere on the canvas, then it will print the relative coordinate of the pointer on the console.
start_x, start_y = 340.0 159.0
- Related Articles
- How to get the coordinates of an object in a Tkinter canvas?
- How to open PIL Image in Tkinter on Canvas?
- How to create a Button on a Tkinter Canvas?
- How to draw a line on a Tkinter canvas?
- How to hide and show canvas items on Tkinter?
- How to draw an arc on a tkinter canvas?
- How to put an outline on a canvas text on Tkinter?
- How to clear Tkinter Canvas?
- Tkinter - How to put an outline on a canvas text
- How to draw a dashed line on a Tkinter canvas?
- How to get the Tkinter widget's current x and y coordinates?
- How to draw a png image on a Python tkinter canvas?
- How do I update images on a Tkinter Canvas?
- How to reconfigure Tkinter canvas items?
- How to draw a dot on a canvas on a click event in Tkinter Python?