- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How to compare elements of a series by Python list using pandas series.gt() function?
By using pandas series.gt() function, we can apply the Greater Than condition to the elements of a series with list elements. The series.gt() method is used to apply the element-wise Greater Than comparison operation between two objects. The two objects are series and other (series, scalar of sequence).
Given below is an example of how the gt() method will apply Greater Than condition between series and list. Here, we will see how the series.gt() method works for series and a list.
import pandas as pd import numpy as np # create pandas Series s = pd.Series([9, 103, 18, 31, 92]) print("Series object:",s) # apply gt() method using a list of integers print("Output:") print(s.gt(other=[26, 70, 38, 29, 59]))
The output is given below −
Series object: 0 9 1 103 2 18 3 31 4 92 dtype: int64 Output: 0 False 1 True 2 False 3 True 4 True dtype: bool
The first element in the series object 9 is compared with the first element of the list 26 (9 > 26) then the corresponding output will be represented in the resultant series object (False for this condition). In the same way, the remaining elements are also compared.
Let’s take another pandas series object and apply the Greater Than condition with a list of integers.
import pandas as pd import numpy as np # create pandas Series s = pd.Series([np.nan, 1, 84, 57, 21, 66,]) print("Series object:",s) # apply gt() method using a list of integers by replacing missing values print("Output:") print(s.gt(other=[29, 11, 44, 43, 37, 32], fill_value=40))
Here, we will replace the missing values by specifying integer value 40 to the fill_value parameter.
The output is mentioned below −
Series object: 0 NaN 1 1.0 2 84.0 3 57.0 4 21.0 5 66.0 dtype: float64 Output: 0 True 1 False 2 True 3 True 4 False 5 True dtype: bool
The gt() method successfully replaced the missing values by 40 and then compared the elements of two input objects(series and list).
- How to compare elements of a series by Python list using pandas series.ge() function?
- How to compare two Pandas Series Objects by Applying Greater Than Condition using gt() Function?
- How to access Pandas Series elements by using indexing?
- Python program to compare two Pandas series
- Accessing elements of a Pandas Series
- How to create a series from a list using Pandas?
- How to perform the Integer division operation of a pandas Series by a Python list?
- How to append elements to a Pandas series?
- How to access pandas Series elements using the .iloc attribute?
- How to access pandas Series elements using the .loc attribute?
- How to append a pandas Series object to another Series in Python?
- How to remove a group of elements from a pandas series object?
- How to sort a Pandas Series?
- How to apply floor division to the pandas series object by another series object?
- How to access datetime indexed elements in pandas series?