- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How can the ‘subplot’ function be used to create two graphs in Matplotlib Python?
Matplotlib is a popular Python package that is used for data visualization.
Visualizing data is a key step since it helps understand what is going on in the data without actually looking at the numbers and performing complicated computations.
It helps in communicating the quantitative insights to the audience effectively.
Matplotlib is used to create 2 dimensional plots with the data. It comes with an object oriented API that helps in embedding the plots in Python applications. Matplotlib can be used with IPython shells, Jupyter notebook, Spyder IDE and so on.
It is written in Python. It is created using Numpy, which is the Numerical Python package in Python.
Python can be installed on Windows using the below command −
pip install matplotlib
The dependencies of Matplotlib are −
Python ( greater than or equal to version 3.4) NumPy Setuptools Pyparsing Libpng Pytz Free type Six Cycler Dateutil
Sometimes, it may be required to understand two different data sets, one with respect to other. This is when such multiple plots can be plotted.
Let us understand how Matplotlib can be used to plot multiple plots −
Note − This requirement is the same as the above article, but it requires the explicit usage of ‘subplot’ function to create two graphs.
import numpy as np import matplotlib.pyplot as plt x1_val = np.linspace(0.0, 6.0) x2_val = np.linspace(0.0, 3.0) y1_val = np.cos(2.3 * np.pi * x1_val) * np.exp(−x1_val) y2_val = np.cos(2.4 * np.pi * x2_val) plt.subplot(2, 1, 1) plt.plot(x1_val, y1_val, 'o−') plt.title('2 plots using "subplot" function') plt.ylabel('Plot 1') plt.subplot(2, 1, 2) plt.plot(x2_val, y2_val, '.−') plt.xlabel('x−axis') plt.ylabel('Plot 2') plt.show()
The required packages are imported and its alias is defined for ease of use.
The data is created using the ‘Numpy’ library for two different data sets.
An empty figure is created using the ‘figure’ function.
The ‘subplot’ function is used to create 2 separate plots within the same plot.
The data is plotted using the ‘plot’ function.
The set_xlabel, set_ylabel and set_title functions are used to provide labels for ‘X’ axis, ‘Y’ axis and title.
It is shown on the console using the ‘show’ function.
- How can matplotlib be used to create a sine function in Python?
- How can matplotlib be used to create histograms using Python?
- How can Matplotlib be used to create multiple plots iteratively in Python?
- How can Bokeh library be used to generate line graphs in Python?
- Explain how Matplotlib can be used to create a wireframe plot in Python?
- How can Matplotlib be used to create three-dimensional scatter plot using Python?
- How can Matplotlib be used to create 3 dimensional contour plot using Python?
- Can generator be used to create iterators in Python?
- How can Tensorflow be used to add two matrices using Python?
- How can Tensorflow be used to multiply two matrices using Python?
- How can Tensorflow be used to create an input function to to train the model?
- How can Matplotlib be used to three-dimensional line plots using Python?
- How can Bokeh be used to create step line plot in Python?
- How to create broken horizontal bar graphs in matplotlib?
- How can Matplotlib be used to generate time-series data?