- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How can multiple plots be plotted in same figure using matplotlib and Python?
Matplotlib is a popular Python package that is used for data visualization.
Visualizing data is a key step since it helps understand what is going on in the data without actually looking at the numbers and performing complicated computations.
It helps in communicating the quantitative insights to the audience effectively.
Matplotlib is used to create 2 dimensional plots with the data. It comes with an object oriented API that helps in embedding the plots in Python applications. Matplotlib can be used with IPython shells, Jupyter notebook, Spyder IDE and so on.
It is written in Python. It is created using Numpy, which is the Numerical Python package in Python.
Python can be installed on Windows using the below command −
pip install matplotlib
The dependencies of Matplotlib are −
Python ( greater than or equal to version 3.4) NumPy Setuptools Pyparsing Libpng Pytz Free type Six Cycler Dateutil
Sometimes, it may be required to understand two different data sets, one with respect to other. This is when such multiple plots can be plotted.
Let us understand how Matplotlib can be used to plot multiple plots −
import numpy as np import matplotlib.pyplot as plt x1_val = np.linspace(0.0, 6.0) x2_val = np.linspace(0.0, 3.0) y1_val = np.cos(2.3 * np.pi * x1_val) * np.exp(−x1_val) y2_val = np.cos(2.4 * np.pi * x2_val) fig, (ax1, ax2) = plt.subplots(2, 1) fig.suptitle('Two plots') ax1.plot(x1_val, y1_val ,'o−') ax1.set_ylabel('Plot 1') ax2.plot(x2_val, y2_val, '.−') ax2.set_xlabel('x-axis') ax2.set_ylabel('Plot 2') plt.show()
The required packages are imported and its alias is defined for ease of use.
The data is created using the ‘Numpy’ library for two different data sets.
An empty figure is created using the ‘figure’ function.
The data is plotted using the ‘plot’ function.
The set_xlabel, set_ylabel and set_title functions are used to provide labels for ‘X’ axis, ‘Y’ axis and title.
It is shown on the console using the ‘show’ function.
- How can Matplotlib be used to create multiple plots iteratively in Python?
- How can Matplotlib be used to three-dimensional line plots using Python?
- How can Bokeh be used to visualize multiple bar plots in Python?
- How to align multiple plots in a grid using GridSpec Class in Matplotlib
- Defining multiple plots to be animated with a for loop in Matplotlib
- How can multiple lines be visualized using Bokeh Python?
- Adding a legend to a Matplotlib boxplot with multiple plots on the same axis
- How can Bokeh library be used to plot horizontal bar plots using Python?
- How to get multiple overlapping plots with independent scaling in Matplotlib?
- How can matplotlib be used to create histograms using Python?
- How to pick a new color for each plotted line within a figure in matplotlib?
- How can Pygal be used to generate line plots in Python?
- How can Pygal be used to generate box plots in Python?
- How can Pygal be used to generate dot plots in Python?
- How can Pygal be used to generate Funnel plots in Python?