- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Fashion Technologist: Roles, Education, And Career
Fashion technologists will always be in demand as long as fashion companies continue to outsource production to other countries. Acting as the communicator between brand and factory, the fashion technologist is responsible for making sure that the vision of the product is aligned and as expected or not. If you are a practical and more hands-on creative person, then being a fashion technologist might just be the fashion job for you.
What does a fashion technologist do?
Fashion technologists work with a variety of materials, including man-made and natural textiles. They may be responsible for developing fabrics for clothing or textiles for use within the fashion industry. Responsibilities include −
- Providing technical assistance to personnel in design, marketing, purchasing, and production.
- Creating products in response to specifications
- Making changes to designs as needed
- Making samples
- Textile printing and dyeing
- Evaluating, identifying, and selecting fabrics and products from suppliers
- Ensuring that products meet predetermined requirements and specifications (for example, color, durability, and so on).
- Assessing products’ suitability and testing performance under varying conditions
- Maintaining control over production and quality standards
- Problem-solving abilities
- Keeping up with trends and innovations
How to become a fashion technologist?
To become a successful fashion technologist, an aspirant must meet the basic requirements. The eligibility criteria mentioned below are the essential criteria that an aspirant must satisfy to become a fashion technologist.
- The candidate must have completed a recognised board of education’s class 12 or HSC.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in fashion design is required.
- A master’s degree opens up more job opportunities for a candidate.
- Analytical thinking, attention to detail, communication skills, creative skills, and management skills should be present in the candidate.
What does it take to succeed in this field?
To succeed, you need to be very driven and be able to see the bigger picture. You also shouldn’t just work within your area and always be willing to learn. For example, even if you start off as a part-time fashion designer, if you show initiative and make connections, you could end up with a fashion technologist position at an international brand from one of the client contacts you build.
The skills you’ll need are −
- the ability to work well with your hands
- thoroughness and meticulousness
- the ability to effectively collaborate with others
- excellent oral communication abilities
- mathematical knowledge
- the ability to assess a product’s or service’s quality or performance
- familiarity with manufacturing processes and production
- the ability to act on your own initiative
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
A Career Path and Progression
With experience, you could become a senior technologist, quality controller, or technical production manager. You could also move into research or teaching in a university fashion or textiles department.
Salary − In India, an entry-level fashion technologist earns between INR 2,46,000 and INR 3,30,000 per year. The salary itself is higher than any entry-level job, and with time and relevant field knowledge, it can reach up to INR 11,50,000 LPA.
Job Security − Fashion technologists’ job opportunities are expected to grow 5% over the next five years, which is a rapid and stable growth rate when compared to other jobs. India’s textile industry is thriving, and the steady growth contributes towards creating more demand for these individuals. With ever-increasing job opportunities comes job security. Fashion technologists are hired in a wide scope of industries, including the Fashion Industry, Media Houses, Production Houses, Designer Stores, and the Entertainment Industry, etc.
Positive Impact − The role of a fashion technologist comes with authority. Your ideas and opinions are heard sincerely and are given weightage, boosting your self-confidence. A career in fashion technology refines your personality and contributes towards the overall growth of a person both professionally and personally.
Unique Experience − The challenging nature of the job and the never-ending demand for creativity, new ideas, and innovation provide a unique professional experience for both employees and employers.
|Drawing Skills||Sewing Skills||Strong Technical Knowledge|
|Innovation||Problem-Solving Skills||Communication Skills|
|Measurement Skills||Pattern Cutting||Management Skills|
|Team player||Mathematics and Science Skills||Critical Thinking|
Though the work is challenging, but the job has more excitement and creativity, and it also provides a unique professional experience. Fashion technology includes industries like the fashion industry, media houses, and even entertainment.
- Related Articles
- Fashion Professionals: Roles, Education, and Career
- Fashion Merchandisers: Roles, Education, & Career
- Fashion Designer: Role, Education, and Career
- Career in Hairdressing and Fashion
- AWS Engineer: Job Roles, Salaries, and the Career Path
- Roles of Fashion in Our Society
- Education and social change
- Peace Education: Meaning and Application
- Hairstyling Education and Training Courses
- Value Education and Personality Development
- Death Education: Meaning and Significance
- Roles and Responsibilities in PRINCE2®
- AWS Solutions Architect Roles and Responsibilities
- DevOps Engineer: Job Description and Roles
- Differences and Similarities in Managerial and Leadership Roles