- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference Between View and Materialized View
In this post, we will understand the difference between a view and a materialized view.
It is a logical and virtual copy of a table that is created by executing a ‘select query’ statement.
This result isn’t stored anywhere on the disk.
Hence, every time, a query needs to be executed when certain data is needed.
This way, the most recently updated data would be available from the tables.
The tuple/result of the query doesn’t get stored.
Instead, the query expression is stored on the disk.
The query expression is stored, due to which the last updated data is obtained.
They don’t have a storage/update cost associated with it.
They are designed with a specific architecture.
This means there is a SQL standard to define a view.
They are used when data has to be accessed infrequently, but data gets updated frequently.
It is a logical and virtual copy of data.
It is the result of a ‘select query’, given that the query is stored in the table or disk.
The query expression and the resultant tuple are stored on the disk.
The query expression isn’t executed every time the user tries to fetch data.
This means, the user doesn’t get the most recently updated values of a table in the database.
It has a storage and update cost associated with it.
They are designed with a generic architecture, hence there is no SQL standard to define it.
Its functionality is provided by certain databases as an extension.
It is used when data has to be accessed frequently but the data in the table isn’t updated frequently.
- What is a materialized view in DBMS?
- Difference between Simple and Complex View in SQL
- Difference between Copy and Derived view in SAP HANA
- Difference between Views and Materialized Views in SQL
- Explain the difference between a table, view and synonym in SQL
- Android working with Card View and Recycler View
- User View vs System View in Operating System
- How to switch between hide and view password in Android
- Grant a user permission to only view a MySQL view?
- Consuming Attribute/Analytic view in a Calculation view in SAP HANA
- HTML view Event Property
- How can we create a MySQL view based on another existing view?
- How can we modify a MySQL view with CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW statement?
- Android Working with Recycler View
- View Serial Output in Arduino