- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference Between Descriptive and Predictive Data Mining
In this post, we will understand the difference between descriptive data mining and predictive data mining.
Descriptive Data Mining
It tries to understand what happened in the past by analyzing the stored data.
The data it provides is accurate.
It provides standard reporting.
It also provides ad-hoc reporting.
It uses a reactive approach.
It uses data aggregation and data mining.
It tells about the characteristics of data in the target dataset.
Questions such as −
where is the problem?
what is the frequency of this problem?
Predictive Data Mining
It tries to understand what could happen in the future using past data analysis.
It may not be accurate result.
It is used in predictive modelling, forecasting, simulation and alerts.
It uses statistics and forecasting methods.
It uses a proactive approach.
Questions such as −
what would happen next?
what would be the outcome if the trends continue?
what actions need to be taken?
- What is the difference between Descriptive and Predictive Data Mining?
- Difference between data mining and web mining?
- Difference Between Data Mining and Data Warehousing
- Difference between Data mining and Data Science?
- Difference between Data Mining and Big Data?
- Difference between Data Mining and Statistics?
- What is the difference between Text Mining and Data Mining?
- What is the difference between Data Mining and Data Warehouse?
- Difference between Data Mining vs. Machine Learning?
- What is the difference between Spatial and Temporal Data Mining?
- What is the difference between Business Intelligence and Predictive Analytics?
- What is the difference between feed-forward and feedback systems in data mining?
- Data Warehousing and Data Mining
- Difference Between Data and Metadata
- Difference Between Data and Information