- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference between 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems
In computing, a byte is the unit of data and processing of data is generally denoted as bit processing. In general, there exist two types of processors namely a 32-bit processor and a 64-bit processor.
|Sr. No.||Key||32-bit OS.||64-bit OS.|
|1||Data and storage handling.||As the name suggests 32 bit OS handle and store less data as compared to 64 bit OS. More specifically 32-bit OS can address a maximum of 4 GB 4,294,967,296 bytes) of RAM||On the other hand, 64 bit OS can handle more data than 32 bit OS, in numbers, it can address 264 memory addresses, i.e actually 18-Quintillion GB of RAM.|
|2||System compatibility.||A system with a 64-bit processor can run either of a 64-bit or 32-bit version of an operating system installed.||On the other hand systems with a 32-bit processor could run 32 bit OS properly but 64-bit OS would not run at its full capability.|
|3||Performance||The 32-bit processor as compared to the 64-bit processor is less efficient in a factor of performance.||On the other hand, a 64-bit processor is more recommended for multitasking and other heavy application execution due to its high performance as compared to a 32-bit processor.|
Check the version of Operating System
Click on Start icon-search/type system in the Start Search box, and then click system in the Programs list. The operating system is displayed as follows: For a 64-bit version operating system, 64-bit Operating System appears for the System type under System. For a 32-bit version operating system, 32-bit Operating System appears for the System type under System.
- Differentiate between 32-Bit vs. 64-Bit Operating System.
- How to find out linux operating system system is 32 bit or 64 bit
- Compile 32-bit program on 64-bit gcc in C and C++
- How to compile 32-bit program on 64- bit gcc in C and C++
- 32-bit microprocessors
- How to determine whether C++ code has been compiled in 32 or 64 bit?
- Difference between Byte stuffing and Bit stuffing
- Difference between Bit Rate and Baud Rate
- ConvertDecimal to equivalent 32-bit unsigned integer in C#
- What is the difference between BIT and TINYINT in MySQL?
- 1-bit and 2-bit Characters in Python
- Differences between Bit Rate and Baud Rate
- Convert Decimal to the equivalent 64-bit unsigned integer in C#
- Implicit conversion from 32-bit unsigned integer (UInt) to Decimal in C#