- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
A Utopian Simplex Protocol
The Simplex protocol is data link layer protocol for transmission of frames over computer network. It is hypothetical protocol designed for unidirectional data transmission over an ideal channel, i.e. a channel through which transmission can never go wrong.
It is assumed that both the sender and the receiver are always ready for data processing and both of them have infinite buffer. The sender simply sends all its data available onto the channel as soon as they are available its buffer. The receiver is assumed to process all incoming data instantly. It is does not handle flow control or error control. Since this protocol is totally unrealistic, it is often called Utopian Simplex protocol.
The significance of this protocol lies in the fact that it shows the basic structure on which the usable protocols are built upon.
Sender Site: The data link layer in the sender site waits for the network layer to send a data packet. On receiving the packet, it immediately processes it and sends it to the physical layer for transmission.
Receiver Site: The data link layer in the receiver site waits for a frame to be available. When it is available, it immediately processes it and sends it to the network layer.
Algorithm of Simplex Protocol for Sender Site
begin while (true) //check repeatedly do Wait_For_Event(); //wait for availability of packet if ( Event(Frame_Available)) then Get_Data_From_Network_Layer(); Make_Frame(); Send_Frame_To_Physical_Layer(); end if end while end
Algorithm of Simplex Protocol for Receiver Site
begin while (true) //check repeatedly do Wait_For_Event(); //wait for arrival of frame if ( Event(Frame_Arrival)) then Receive_Frame_From_Physical_Layer(); Extract_Data(); Deliver_Data_To_Network_Layer(); end if end while end
The following flow diagram depicts communication via simplex protocol.
- Related Articles
- A Simplex Stop-and-Wait Protocol for a Noisy Channel
- A Simplex Stop-and-Wait Protocol for an Error-Free Channel
- Rudi Gernreich: Fashion’s Utopian Prophet
- Protocol and Protocol Hierarchies
- Herpes Simplex Virus: HSV-1 and HSV-2
- What is simplex mode of transmission in computer networks?
- A Protocol Using Selective Repeat
- Difference between Simplex, Half duplex and Full Duplex Transmission Modes
- Bundle Protocol
- CAN Protocol
- A One-Bit Sliding Window Protocol
- A Protocol Using Go-Back-N
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- What is protocol graph? Compare the network interface and protocol
- Bit-Map Protocol