- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What does the cmp() function do in Python Object Oriented Programming?
The cmp() function
The cmp(x,y) function compares the values of two arguments x and y −
The return value is −
A negative number if x is less than y.
Zero if x is equal to y.
A positive number if x is greater than y.
The built-in cmp() function will typically return only the values -1, 0, or 1. However, there are other places that expect functions with the same calling sequence, and those functions may return other values. It is best to observe only the sign of the result.
>>> cmp(2,8) -1 >>> cmp(6,6) 0 >>> cmp(4,1) 1 >>> cmp('stackexchange', 'stackoverflow') -1
The method cmp() compares elements of two lists.
If elements are of the same type, perform the compare and return the result. If elements are different types, check to see if they are numbers.
If numbers, perform numeric coercion if necessary and compare.
If either element is a number, then the other element is "larger" (numbers are "smallest").
Otherwise, types are sorted alphabetically by name.
If we reached the end of one of the lists, the longer list is "larger." If we exhaust both lists and share the same data, the result is a tie, meaning that 0 is returned.
The following example shows the usage of cmp() method.
list1, list2 = [456, 'xyz'], [789, 'abc'] print cmp(list1, list2) print cmp(list2, list1) list3 = list2 + ; print cmp(list2, list3)
When we run above program, it produces following result −
-1 1 -1
- What does the repr() function do in Python Object Oriented Programming?
- What does the str() function do in Python Object Oriented Programming?
- Object Oriented Programming in Python?
- What is object-oriented programming (OOP)?
- What is Data Hiding in Python Object Oriented Programming?
- What is the difference between Object oriented programming and Object based programming?
- What are basic Object oriented programming concepts?
- Object Oriented language v/s Procedure oriented programming language.
- Differences between Procedural and Object Oriented Programming.
- What does raw_input() function do in python?
- What does input() function do in python?
- What does print() function do in Python?
- What does open() function do in Python?
- What does close() function do in Python?