- Python Basic Tutorial
- Python - Home
- Python - Overview
- Python - Environment Setup
- Python - Basic Syntax
- Python - Comments
- Python - Variables
- Python - Data Types
- Python - Operators
- Python - Decision Making
- Python - Loops
- Python - Numbers
- Python - Strings
- Python - Lists
- Python - Tuples
- Python - Dictionary
- Python - Date & Time
- Python - Functions
- Python - Modules
- Python - Files I/O
- Python - Exceptions
- Python Advanced Tutorial
- Python - Classes/Objects
- Python - Reg Expressions
- Python - CGI Programming
- Python - Database Access
- Python - Networking
- Python - Sending Email
- Python - Multithreading
- Python - XML Processing
- Python - GUI Programming
- Python - Further Extensions
How to read a file from command line using Python?
In order to read a file form command line using Python, the script you want to use for it needs to accept a CLI argument. For example, say you want to write a cat command in python(a command that dumps all file content on the terminal). In order to do that, you could simply write a program:
import sys with open(sys.argv, 'r') as f: contents = f.read() print contents
If you save this file as cat.py and run it using:
$ python cat.py my_file.txt
This will take the my_file.txt and pass it to cat.py as a CLI argument in variable argv(second command line argument) which we can use to get the file and its contents.
- Related Articles
- How to write into a file from command line using Python?
- How to read an entire line from a text file using Python?
- How to read complete text file line by line using Python?
- How to read a Specific Line From a File in Linux?
- Read file line by line using C++
- How to read a number of characters from a text file using Python?
- How to read data from a file using FileInputStream?
- How to read only the first line of a file with Python?
- How to run Python functions from command line?
- How to call Python module from command line?
- Read last line from file in PHP
- How to Pretty print Python dictionary from command line?
- How to read integers from a file using BufferedReader in Java?
- How to send a file as an email attachment using the Linux command line?