- Python Basic Tutorial
- Python - Home
- Python - Overview
- Python - Environment Setup
- Python - Basic Syntax
- Python - Comments
- Python - Variables
- Python - Data Types
- Python - Operators
- Python - Decision Making
- Python - Loops
- Python - Numbers
- Python - Strings
- Python - Lists
- Python - Tuples
- Python - Dictionary
- Python - Date & Time
- Python - Functions
- Python - Modules
- Python - Files I/O
- Python - Exceptions
- Python Advanced Tutorial
- Python - Classes/Objects
- Python - Reg Expressions
- Python - CGI Programming
- Python - Database Access
- Python - Networking
- Python - Sending Email
- Python - Multithreading
- Python - XML Processing
- Python - GUI Programming
- Python - Further Extensions
How to optimize Python dictionary memory usage?
There are some cases where you can simply avoid using dictionaries in python. For example, if you're creating a dict of continuous integers to some values, consider using a list instead.
If you're creating string-based keys, you might be better off using a Trie data structure(http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trie).
There are other cases where you can replace the use of dicts by some other less memory intensive data structure.
But you need to understand that at some places, you have to use a dict as it helps in optimization. The python dict is a relatively straightforward implementation of a hash table. This is how hash tables are implemented in most languages like Java, C++, etc.
- Related Articles
- Can you please explain Python dictionary memory usage?
- How to optimize Python dictionary access code?
- How to optimize Python Dictionary for performance?
- How to get memory usage under Linux in C++
- How to get memory usage at runtime using C++?
- What is usage of update method in Python dictionary?
- Python Pandas - Return the memory usage of the Index values
- Tracking Memory Usage in PHP
- How to see top processes sorted by actual memory usage on Linux?
- 10 ‘free’ Commands to Check Memory Usage in Linux
- How to define a Python dictionary within dictionary?
- How to optimize the performance of Python regular expression?
- How to optimize nested if...elif...else in Python?
- How to create nested Python dictionary?