- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
C++ Operators with Precedence and Associativity
Operator precedence determines the grouping of terms in an expression. The associativity of an operator is a property that determines how operators of the same precedence are grouped in the absence of parentheses. This affects how an expression is evaluated. Certain operators have higher precedence than others; for example, the multiplication operator has higher precedence than the addition operator:
For example, x = 7 + 3 * 2; here, x is assigned 13, not 20 because operator * has higher precedence than +, so it first gets multiplied with 3*2 and then adds into 7.
Here, operators with the highest precedence appear at the top of the table, those with the lowest appear at the bottom. Within an expression, higher precedence operators will be evaluated first.
|Postfix||()  -> . ++ - -||Left to right|
|Unary|| + - ! ~ ++ - - (type)* & sizeof||Right to left|
|Multiplicative||* / %||Left to right|
|Additive||+ -||Left to right|
|Shift||<< >>||Left to right|
|Relational||< <= > >=||Left to right|
|Equality||== !=||Left to right|
|Bitwise AND||&||Left to right|
|Bitwise XOR||^||Left to right|
|Bitwise OR|||||Left to right|
|Logical AND||&&||Left to right|
|Logical OR||||||Left to right|
|Conditional||?:|| Right to left|
|Assignment|| = += -= *= /= %= >>= <<= &= ^= |=||Right to left|
|Comma||,||Left to right|
- Operator Precedence and Associativity in C
- What is C Operator Precedence and Associativity?
- Operators Precedence in C++
- Floating point operators and associativity in Java
- Python Operators Precedence
- Java Operators Precedence
- Perl Operators Precedence
- What is correct operators precedence in Python?
- Floating Point Operations and Associativity in C, C++ and Java
- Precedence of postfix ++ and prefix ++ in C/C++
- What is Evaluation, Precedence and Association in C language?
- # and ## Operators in C ?
- C++ Relational and Equality Operators
- Equality Operators: == and != in C++
- Execution of printf with ++ operators in C