- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Why are the keys on the keyboard not arranged in alphabetical order?
12 Lectures 1 hours
10 Lectures 1.5 hours
The arrangement of keys in a typing keypad that we have today is nearly a century and half old. Initially, in the olden days the typewriter machines did have the keys arranged alphabetically but because the machines were too slow in comparison to the speed at which users learned to master them, it presented a different problem.
The users turned out to be way faster than the machines and this resulted in the mechanical character arms getting jumbled up all over. Therefore, the makers of typewriters in response to customer experience and feedback designed a completely new keyboard where the keys have been rearranged with the primary objective of slowing down the typists.
This didn't altogether stop the character arms getting jumbled but In order to reduce the number of times they got jumbled, it was decided to evenly space out the most frequently used letters across the keyboard. The maker of keyboards possibly thought best not to alter the layout of the more modern keyboard even though the problem of character hands getting jammed didn't exist any longer. Since the transition from typewriters to computers overlapped in good time, it was rather smooth and this could have been the reason why the key arrangement remained the same.
Today, there would be no logic in putting the keys in alphabetical order even though the mechanical problem of the character hands getting jumbled isn't there. Experience of different users suggests that it would make more sense to have the most commonly used keys next to the strongest fingers. Experimental keyboards using this model were proven to be much faster than the commonly used Querty keyboard with characters spaced out to deal with a problem dating back to the era of the mechanical typewriter. However, the market isn't quite prepared for innovations, at least as far as the keyboard is concerned.
- Why are there bumps on the F and J keys on a Keyboard?
- Check whether the vowels in a string are in alphabetical order or not in Python
- Which keys on your keyboard you never use?
- 2 Keys Keyboard in C++
- 4 Keys Keyboard in C++
- How to check whether the elements of a vector are arranged in an increasing order or decreasing order?
- Check if the characters of a given string are in alphabetical order in Python
- Why are Indian women cricket matches not getting the broadcasters?
- C program to sort names in alphabetical order
- Get table column names in alphabetical order in MySQL?
- Why is it not good to sleep on the stomach for the whole night?
- Why are all the deserts located on the western sides of the continents?
- Java Program to sort an array in alphabetical order
- Find when the keys are unknown in MongoDB?
- Why does the order in which libraries are linked sometimes cause errors in GCC?