- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is WIFI Protected Setup (WPS)?
The full form of WPS is WIFI Protected Setup and it is a newly invented method. In this method a new device is added to the wireless network access point using just a Password or a Pin or simply by clicking a button.
When a user pushes a button on the access point the network is visible to the user and he can connect to it with a password or a PIN and as soon as it is done the network becomes invisible and thus it reduces vulnerability. So it is a method of adding a new device to a network and that is why this option is correct.
It is not a wireless encryption but Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP), Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and WPA2 are. The method of Closing open port is called Firewall and the way to filter out malicious client is the job of antivirus.
WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) is technology designed to automate the initial setup of a Wi-Fi connection. It is faster and easier.
The security concerns associated with WPS are as follows −
WPS is horribly insecure.
WPS enabled routers are highly vulnerable.
WPS is horribly insecure when wps is enabled that means the attackers gain access to your network. This is why we disable WPS after we establish a connection.
Our aim here is to switch it off and otherwise disable it.
WPS consists of two versions are as follows −
The button model is safer since it requires someone to press the WPS button on the router in order for WPS to be active.
Few minutes later it automatically switches off.
The PIN version is always on.
It is risky and will allow an attacker, to gain access to a vulnerable network in as few second
The advantages of WPS are as follows −
WPS configured automatically the network name (SSID) and WPA security key
No need to know the SSID and security key while connecting WPS-enabled devices.
Difficult to guess the security key or passphrase because the keys are randomly generated.
Information and network credentials are securely exchanged using the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP).
WPS has been integrated and supported in Windows Vista
The disadvantages of WPS are as follows −
It does not support “ad hoc” mode or network.
The WiFi devices in the network must be WPS certified or WPS-compatible, otherwise security issues arise.
Difficult to add a non-WPS client device to the network .
Characters generated by the WPS technology.
- Related Articles
- WiFi Protected Access (WPA) and WiFi Protected Access 2 (WPA2)
- What is Wireless Fidelity 6 (WiFi 6)?
- What are the differences between WiFi Repeater and WiFi Extender?
- What are the differences between WiFi Extender and WiFi Booster?
- What is AWS Redshift: The Benefits, Cost, and Setup?
- What is the scope of protected access modifier in Java?
- How is brain protected from injury and shock?
- What is the scope of a protected member variable of a class in C#?
- Protected Keyword in Java
- How safe is it surfing on 4G Vs WiFi?
- What are private, public, default and protected access Java modifiers?
- What is the scope of a protected internal member variable of a class in C#?
- Android scan wifi networks programmatically
- Difference between WiFi and Internet
- Difference between WiFi and Ethernet