- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is VLAN in the Computer Network?
VLAN stands for Virtual LAN. It is a logical grouping of network devices. When we create VLAN, we break the large broadcast domain into smaller broadcast domains. Consider VLAN as a subnet. The same as two different subnets cannot communicate without a router, and different VLANs also require the router to transmit.
There are various features of VLAN, which are as follows −
Virtual LANs offer structure for creating groups of devices, even if their networks are different.
It can raise the broadcast domains possible in a LAN.
VLANs can be performing VLANs reduces the security risks as the number of hosts connected to the broadcast domain decreases.
This is performed by configuring a separate virtual LAN for only the hosts having sensitive information.
It has a flexible networking model that groups users depending on their departments instead of network location.
It can change hosts/users on a VLAN is relatively easy. It just needs a new portlevel configuration.
It can reduce congestion by sharing traffic as individual VLAN works as a separate LAN.
The advantages of VLAN are as follows −
It can be allowing network administrators to apply additional security to network communication.
It is used to make the expansion and relocation of a network or a network device easier.
It can provide flexibility because administrators can configure in a centralized environment while the devices might be located in different geographical locations.
It can be decreasing the latency and traffic load on the network and the network devices, offering increased performance.
The disadvantages of VLAN are as follows −
It can have a high risk of virus issues because one infected system may spread a virus through the whole logical network.
It is more effective at controlling latency than a WAN but less efficient than a LAN.
- What is VLAN in a computer network?
- What is Computer Network?
- What is MIME in the Computer Network?
- What is RMON in the Computer Network?
- What is iSCSI in the Computer Network?
- What is DAS in the Computer Network?
- What is GSM in the Computer Network?
- What is Intranet in the Computer Network?
- What is SLIP in the Computer Network?
- What is SCTP in the Computer Network?
- What is IGMP in the Computer Network?
- What is VSAT in the Computer Network?
- What is ISDN in the Computer Network?
- What is BISDN in the Computer Network?
- What is Multimedia in the Computer Network?