- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is the difference between process and program?
To begin with, let us learn about the process.
A process is a program in execution and it is more than a program code called a text section and this concept works under all the operating systems because all the tasks performed by the operating system needs a process to perform the task.
A process also known as one type of activity and it is used in the computer for a particular purpose and a number of states involved in this concept.
A process is one type of state and the state of a process is defined in part by the help of different activity and a process has different types of a state.
A process includes the process stack which contains the following −
Temporary data like function parameters, return address, local variables.
Data section contains global variables.
Heap which is a memory dynamically allocated during process runtime.
The process is represented below −
A program by itself is not a process. A program is a passive entity such as a file which contains a list of instructions stored on a disk often called an executable file.
A process is an active entity with a program counter specifying the next instruction to execute and a set of associated resources.
A program becomes a process when an executable file is loaded into memory.
The major differences between program and process in the form a table are as follows −
|Consists of||Instructions in any programming language||Instructions in machine code|
|FS||Static object||Dynamic object|
|Resides in||Secondary storage||Main memory|
|Span of time||Unlimited||Limited|
- Difference Between Program and Process
- Difference between Process and Thread
- Difference Between Product and Process
- What is the relationship between process states and the machine cycle?
- Difference Between Process and Thread in Java
- What is Process Suspension and Process Switching?
- Difference between Product and Process in software development
- What is the difference between = and: = assignment operators?
- What is the difference between g++ and gcc?
- What is the difference between Hinduism and Buddhism?
- What is the difference between IAS and IPS?
- What is the difference between hastily and quickly?
- What is the difference between Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis?
- What is the difference between deforestation and afforestation?
- What is the difference between home and house?