- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is NULL check and insertion rule in a DB2 table?
Null in DB2 is defined as nothing. It is an unknown value. If we want to restrict NULL value in any column then the column should be defined with the “NOT NULL” parameter in CREATE TABLE.
The “NOT NULL” will force the user to enter a value for the column. However, if we do not want to give any value for this column we can also place a “WITH DEFAULT” parameter which will allow DB2 to place the default value in case the user has not provided any value for the “NOT NULL” column.
For example, if we have a column INVOICE_ID which should be not null and also, we want DB2 to insert spaces in this column if the user does not give any value for this column,then we will define the column as below−
CREATE TABLE ORDERS (ORDER_ID CHAR(15) NOT NULL, ORDER_DATE DATE, INVOICE_ID CHAR(15), NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT ORDER_TOTAL DECIMAL(9,2), TRANSACTION_ID CHAR(15), PRIMARY KEY(ORDER_ID), IN DB4ES01;
The column INVOICE_ID is defined with data type CHAR and the default value taken by DB2 for CHAR is spaces. So in the above case, we have defined INVOICE_ID column as NOT NULL and it will take default value as spaces when an explicit value is not given for this column.
- What is the result of count function in the NULL value present in DB2 table?
- What is the definition and usage of alternate key in a DB2 table?
- How to store a NULL value in a particular column of a DB2 table using COBOL-DB2 program?
- What is the purpose of “NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT” clause used in DB2 table column?
- What will happen if a NULL value is detected for a SQL statement in COBOL-DB2 program and the NULL indicator is not used?
- What is the significance of ACCESSTYPE and INDEXONLY column of a PLAN table in DB2?
- What is MySQL NOT NULL constraint and how can we declare a field NOT NULL while creating a table?
- How to check if any value is Null in a MySQL table single row?
- What is Insertion sort in Python?
- What is Association rule learning?
- In MySQL what is the difference between != NULL and IS NOT NULL?
- What is CASCADE rule for the foreign key on one table referencing to another table?
- Perform mathematical calculations in a MySQL table with NULL and NON-NULL values
- How to delete a DB2 table TAB1?
- What is horizontal rule in HTML Page?