- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is Hamming Distance?
Hamming distance is a metric for comparing two binary data strings. While comparing two binary strings of equal length, Hamming distance is the number of bit positions in which the two bits are different.
The Hamming distance between two strings, a and b is denoted as d(a,b).
It is used for error detection or error correction when data is transmitted over computer networks. It is also using in coding theory for comparing equal length data words.
Calculation of Hamming Distance
In order to calculate the Hamming distance between two strings, and , we perform their XOR operation, (a⊕ b), and then count the total number of 1s in the resultant string.
Suppose there are two strings 1101 1001 and 1001 1101.
11011001 ⊕ 10011101 = 01000100. Since, this contains two 1s, the Hamming distance, d(11011001, 10011101) = 2.
Minimum Hamming Distance
In a set of strings of equal lengths, the minimum Hamming distance is the smallest Hamming distance between all possible pairs of strings in that set.
Suppose there are four strings 010, 011, 101 and 111.
010 ⊕ 011 = 001, d(010, 011) = 1.
010 ⊕ 101 = 111, d(010, 101) = 3.
010 ⊕ 111 = 101, d(010, 111) = 2.
011 ⊕ 101 = 110, d(011, 101) = 2.
011 ⊕ 111 = 100, d(011, 111) = 1.
101 ⊕ 111 = 010, d(011, 111) = 1.
Hence, the Minimum Hamming Distance, dmin = 1.
- Related Articles
- Hamming Distance in Python
- Total Hamming Distance in C++
- Calculating the Hamming distance using SciPy
- Program to minimize hamming distance after swap operations in Python
- Error Correcting Codes - Hamming codes
- Hamming Code in Computer Networks
- Explain the Hamming Codes in Error Correction
- What is a Distance Function?
- What is distance and displacement?
- What is Distance Vector Routing Algorithm?
- What is the definition of Distance ?
- Hamming code for single error correction, double error detection
- What is a distance-based outlier?\n