- DCN Tutorial
- Data Comm & Networks Home
- DCN - Overview
- DCN - Computer Network Types
- DCN - Network LAN Technologies
- DCN - Computer Network Topologies
- DCN - Computer Network Models
- DCN - Computer Network Security
- Physical Layer
- DCN - Physical Layer Introduction
- DCN - Digital Transmission
- DCN - Analog Transmission
- DCN - Transmission media
- DCN - Wireless Transmission
- DCN - Multiplexing
- DCN - Network Switching
- Data Link Layer
- DCN - Data Link Layer Introduction
- DCN - Error detection and Correction
- DCN - Data Link Control & Protocols
- Network Layer
- DCN - Network Layer Introduction
- DCN - Network Addressing
- DCN - Routing
- DCN - Internetworking
- DCN - Network Layer Protocols
- Transport Layer
- DCN - Transport Layer Introduction
- DCN - Transmission Control Protocol
- DCN - User Datagram Protocol
- Application Layer
- DCN - Application Layer Introduction
- DCN - Client-Server Model
- DCN - Application Protocols
- DCN - Network Services
- DCN Useful Resources
- DCN - Quick Guide
- DCN - Useful Resources
What is Data Switching?
When a client creates the web or another computer network which is external to their current position, the messages are transmitted by the transmission media web. This method of shifting the data from one computer network to another network is called data switching.
Switches can be called as an advanced form of the hub. They can provide the dedicated bandwidth at each node of the network that results in traffic passing through one node without affecting another node. It combines the hardware and software. Moreover, it contains enough intelligence to turn on or off a specific port through its software controls.
When we have to connect multiple devices, then the problem arises about connections. In this regard, one solution is a point to point connection among each pair of devices by using the mesh topology.
Or else, star wasteful for the large network of other topologies are employed like a bus. Hence, the multipoint connection is ruled out as the distance between devices and the local number of devices improves beyond the size of the channel and equipment.
There are three switching techniques which are as follows −
It can generate a direct physical link between two devices, including mobiles or laptops. It is a device with n inputs and m outputs that produce a limited association between the input link and the output link.
In this, no physical path is settled between the sender and receiver. When the sender has the structure of data to be transmitted, it is saved in the first switching office, i.e., router and then the data is forwarded. Each block is inspected for errors and then sent accordingly.
The packet-switched data networks divide the data into one or more message units, called packets. These units are located at the source host before transmitting the data to the destination host. The packets have varying length, including the source and destination address and the necessary control information.
The advantages of switching are as follows −
A switch raises the bandwidth of the network.
It decreases the workload on a single computer as it transmits the data to only that device that has been sent.
It improves the complete execution of the network by decreasing the traffic on the web.
There will be minor frame collisions as the switch generates the collision domain for every connection.
The disadvantages of switching are as follows −
A switch is costlier than the network bridges.
A switch cannot decide the network connectivity problem quickly.
The proper designing and structure of the switch are needed to manage the multicast packets.
- Related Articles
- What is Data Link Layer Switching?
- What is Wormhole switching?
- What is Circuit Switching?
- What is Message Switching?
- What is Packet Switching?
- What is switching and the types of switching techniques?
- What is Cut-through switching?
- What is virtual circuit packet switching?
- What is Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)?
- What is Context Switching in Operating System?
- What is Process Suspension and Process Switching?
- What is the design space of switching techniques?
- What is Multistage Switching Network in Computer Architecture?
- What is Omega Switching Network in Computer Architecture
- What is the concept of datagram packet switching?