- DCN Tutorial
- Data Comm & Networks Home
- DCN - Overview
- DCN - Computer Network Types
- DCN - Network LAN Technologies
- DCN - Computer Network Topologies
- DCN - Computer Network Models
- DCN - Computer Network Security
- Physical Layer
- DCN - Physical Layer Introduction
- DCN - Digital Transmission
- DCN - Analog Transmission
- DCN - Transmission media
- DCN - Wireless Transmission
- DCN - Multiplexing
- DCN - Network Switching
- Data Link Layer
- DCN - Data Link Layer Introduction
- DCN - Error detection and Correction
- DCN - Data Link Control & Protocols
- Network Layer
- DCN - Network Layer Introduction
- DCN - Network Addressing
- DCN - Routing
- DCN - Internetworking
- DCN - Network Layer Protocols
- Transport Layer
- DCN - Transport Layer Introduction
- DCN - Transmission Control Protocol
- DCN - User Datagram Protocol
- Application Layer
- DCN - Application Layer Introduction
- DCN - Client-Server Model
- DCN - Application Protocols
- DCN - Network Services
- DCN Useful Resources
- DCN - Quick Guide
- DCN - Useful Resources
What is a firewall? What are the advantages of hardware and software firewalls?
Firewall is a wall between a personal computer and the outside world. So it will filter the traffic coming from the outside world based on the user configuration like which sites are trusted sites and which we need to allow.
The diagram given below depicts the firewall:
Functions of firewall
The functions of a firewall in computer networking are as follows −
Block unsafe URLs.
Close down a port completely.
Open a port to only specific IP addresses.
Allow some ip addresses at specific times.
Advantages of Hardware Firewall
The advantages of a hardware firewall are as follows −
Hardware firewalls can protect your entire network with a single firewall.
Hardware firewalls cannot run on your computers so, they cannot affect system performance or speed.
A hardware firewall won't easily be disabled by malicious software, such as software firewalls can be disabled.
Given below is the diagram of a hardware firewall −
Advantages of Software Firewall
The advantages of a software firewall are as follows −
Software firewall can protect your network at a very low cost.
Software firewalls can run on your computers, so they are flexible and connect to the internet.
Software firewall protects the computer by its installation no matter where that computer is connected to the internet or not. Such flexible features are very helpful to protect our system like laptops.
Types of firewalls
There are eight types of firewalls, which are as follows −
Application-level gateways (a.k.a. proxy firewalls)
Stateful inspection firewalls
Security zones in firewall
It is the network segment in which a firewall groups physical and virtual interfaces together to control and log the traffic to and from the network.
- Related Articles
- What is the difference between Hardware firewalls and Software Firewalls?
- What is Hardware Level Firewalls in information security?
- What are hardware and software resources managed by the OS?
- What is the difference between Software Encryption and Hardware Encryption?
- What are the different components and architectures of firewalls?
- What is a Personal Firewall? (Personal Firewall vs. Regular Firewall)
- What is an Open Source Software? (Definition, Advantages and Disadvantages)
- Which are the Best Firewall Software for Windows, Mac, and Linux ?
- Difference between Hardware and Software
- What are the types of Firewalls in Computer Network?
- What are the types of firewalls in information security?
- What is a database and what are the advantages of using MySQL database?
- What are the differences between Firewall and Proxy Server?
- What is pytest and what are its advantages?
- Differences between Hardware VPN and Software VPN