- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the types of Hubs in the Computer Network?
Hub is a unique device used to enhance a network by enabling increased workstations in the network.
The three main types of Hubs are as follows−
Passive hubs do not include any computerized elements, and they do not procedure the data signal at all. The main goal of a passive hub is to connect the signals from various network cable segments. All devices connected to a passive hub take all the packets that develop through the hub.
One example of the passive hub is the punch down block consisting of a plastic box with different connectors (mostly RJ 45). This hub is an unpowered or powerless passive hub. The other passive hubs are generally powered passive hubs, and they are used as the central block of the star network. The Multistation Access Unit (MAU) is an example of the powered passive hub used in token ring networks.
The hubs that contain repeating capabilities to strengthen the signals in a network are called active hubs. The limitation of active hubs is that they magnify noise along with the signals. They are a little brighter than passive hubs because they boost the signals before passing them between nodes to the node. They are also called concentrators and can accommodate more one than one set of network connections.
These hubs are also called smart hubs. They have a special kind of software in them to perform management functions in the network. The software offers them the capability to find and separate network issues. Thus they have both monitoring and management capabilities.
These hubs do not have much importance in smaller networks with a few nodes, but as the network expands, its problems and management need also increase, and in those networks, such hubs are proved to be an asset.
They can keep track of how each node is doing in the network and can take action to correct the problems occurring in the network. As troubleshooting in larger networks manually is not easy, smart hubs play a vital role in such networks.
- What are Hubs in Computer Network?
- What are the types of Firewalls in Computer Network?
- What are the goals of Computer Network?
- What are the Uses of Computer Network?
- What are the services of Network Security in Computer Network?
- What are the network security types?
- What are the characteristics of a computer network?
- What are the challenges of a Computer Network?
- What are the Repeaters in Computer Network?
- What are the Routers in Computer Network?
- What are the Gateways in Computer Network?
- What are the types of Network in Information Security?
- What are the types of Parallelism in Computer Architecture?
- What are the types of Instructions in Computer Architecture?
- What are the physical components of a Computer Network?