- DCN Tutorial
- Data Comm & Networks Home
- DCN - Overview
- DCN - Computer Network Types
- DCN - Network LAN Technologies
- DCN - Computer Network Topologies
- DCN - Computer Network Models
- DCN - Computer Network Security
- Physical Layer
- DCN - Physical Layer Introduction
- DCN - Digital Transmission
- DCN - Analog Transmission
- DCN - Transmission media
- DCN - Wireless Transmission
- DCN - Multiplexing
- DCN - Network Switching
- Data Link Layer
- DCN - Data Link Layer Introduction
- DCN - Error detection and Correction
- DCN - Data Link Control & Protocols
- Network Layer
- DCN - Network Layer Introduction
- DCN - Network Addressing
- DCN - Routing
- DCN - Internetworking
- DCN - Network Layer Protocols
- Transport Layer
- DCN - Transport Layer Introduction
- DCN - Transmission Control Protocol
- DCN - User Datagram Protocol
- Application Layer
- DCN - Application Layer Introduction
- DCN - Client-Server Model
- DCN - Application Protocols
- DCN - Network Services
- DCN Useful Resources
- DCN - Quick Guide
- DCN - Useful Resources
What are the examples of Data Link Layer Protocols?
Data Link Layer is the second layer in the OSI reference model. It represents creating a shared transmission medium and frequent transmission of the data frame in a computer transmission setting.
It obtains a natural flow of items for the physical layer at the sender device. The primary stream of data is generated using different technologies like cable, DSL, wireless, optical fibre, etc.
Protocols define a collection of rules or conventions for executing a definite function. It is a collection of the requirements that can manage the data link layer. The fundamental goals of computer broadcasting in a system environment are to transmit a limitless huge message from the source hub to the destination hub.
The primary service of the data link layer is to support error-free transmission. The physical layer sends the information from the sender’s hub to the receiver’s hub as raw bits. The data link layer must identify and correct any bug in the communicated data.
Simplex Stop and Wait
An error-free transmission medium is considered. The source node recovers a packet from the network layer and encloses it into a frame to send. After sending, the source node stays for acceptance from the destination node. After getting the exposure, the loop opens over repeatedly.
At the destination node, the device waits for a frame from the source destination. Then receiving a frame, it transfers the frame to the network layer and shares an affirmation for the frame to the source node. It then loops back to wait for the next frame, and the procedure continues till the end of the File frame is arrived.
It contains only one single frame at a time. Therefore no sequence numbers are needed. The acceptance of the destination node address back to the source device is a null frame.
Positive Acknowledgement with Retransmission Protocol (PAR)
It is an advancement on the Stop and Waits protocol. The source device recovers a packet from the network layer. It can enclose it into a frame with a sequence number to share with the destination node. After communication, the source device tries to recover an acceptance from the physical layer.
Once an acceptance appears with the right sequence number, the following packet to transmit from the network layer is recovered. The sequence number to share the next packet is upgraded.
In this case, the loop begins over. If no frame is retrieved from the physical inside the particular time, the physical layer times out, or an acceptance with an inappropriate sequence number appears. In this method, the final frame address is retransmitted, and thus, the loop begins over.
- Related Articles
- What are elementary data link layer protocols?
- What are the Data Link Layer Communication Protocols in IoT?
- What are Data Link Protocols in Computer Network?
- What are data link layer design issues?
- What are the Data Link Layer services provided to the Network Layer?
- What are the services provided by Data Link Layer?
- What is the data link layer?
- Elementary Data Link Protocols
- Example Data Link Protocols
- What are the headers used in a Data Link Layer?
- What is Data Link Layer Switching?
- What is a Data Link Layer?
- Network Data Link Layer
- The Data Link Layer of OSI Model
- Data Link Layer Design Issues