What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of LAN in Computer Network?
Following are the advantages and disadvantages of LAN −
Advantages of LAN
There are various advantages of LAN, which are as follows −
- Inexpensive transmission media.
- It can simplify the physical association of a device to the media.
- It is used to high data transmission rates.
- Network data transmission is independent of the connected devices rates, making it accessible for the one-speed device to send data to another speed device.
- A large rate of interconnection between devices.
- Each connected device has the potential to interact with another device on the network.
- It is flexible and growth-oriented.
- It allows file locking.
- It provides full proof of the security system against illegal access to data.
- LANs are a productivity tool. In the case of business, a LAN should be an apparent contributor to raised profitability.
Disadvantages of LAN
There are various disadvantages to LAN, which are as follows −
- LAN software needed a memory area in each of the mainframe used on the network. This decreases the memory space available for the user’s program.
- Local area networking adds another phase of difficulty to the computer operation. Users can have a problem in understanding the network commands. The installation and authority of a LAN require far more technical and regulatory skills than installing and handling multiple computers that are not networked.
- Some security system should be executed if it is essential to protect private data.
- Some control on the part of the customer is lost. We have to share a printer with different customers.
- Some current application programs will not run in a network environment.
Published on 04-May-2021 13:53:50