- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are System Programs?
System programs provide an environment where programs can be developed and executed. In the simplest sense, system programs also provide a bridge between the user interface and system calls. In reality, they are much more complex. For example: A compiler is a complex system program.
The user view of the system is actually defined by system programs and not system calls because that is what they interact with and system programs are closer to the user interface.
An image that describes system programs in the operating system hierarchy is as follows −
In the above image, system programs as well as application programs form bridge between the user interface and the system calls. So, from the user view the operating system observed is actually the system programs and not the system calls.
Types of System Programs
System programs can be divided into seven parts. These are given as follows −
These system programs are used to manipulate system files. This can be done using various commands like create, delete, copy, rename, print etc. These commands can create files, delete files, copy the contents of one file into another, rename files, print them etc.
The status information system programs provide required data on the current or past status of the system. This may include the system date, system time, available memory in system, disk space, logged in users etc.
System programs that are used for file modification basically change the data in the file or modify it in some other way. Text editors are a big example of file modification system programs.
Programming Language Support
These system programs provide additional support features for different programming languages. Some examples of these are compilers, debuggers etc. These compile a program and make sure it is error free respectively.
Program Loading and Execution
The system programs that deal with program loading and execution make sure that programs can be loaded into memory and executed correctly. Loaders and Linkers are a prime example of this type of system programs.
These system programs are needed for system communications such as web browsers. Web browsers allow systems to communicate and access information from the network as required.
Application programs can perform a wide range of services as per the needs of the users. These include programs for database systems, word processors, plotting tools, spreadsheets, games, scientific applications etc.
- Application Programs vs System Programs
- What is the purpose of System Programs?
- What are constructors in C# programs?
- What are destructors in C# programs?
- What are system calls in Operating System?
- What are operating system services?
- What are operating system design goals?
- What are the different system calls in the operating system?
- What are Transmission Bandwidth and System Temperature?
- What are Virtual Machines in Operating System?
- What are the Process Management System Calls?
- What kinds of programs are available in MySQL database to manage MySQL server?
- What are the functions of the operating system?
- What are the levels of computer system organization?
- What are the types of Intrusion Prevention System?