- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are Petty cash books?
Petty cash books are small cash books which record day to day minor business expenditures. Minor business expenditures include newspaper, fuel, casual labour etc.
The person who handles petty cash and their recordings is known as petty cashier. Petty cash books have both debit and credit side and it records all the receipts on the debit side and all payments on the credit side just like a general cash book.
Maintaining petty cash books
Petty cash books are maintained using following systems
- Open/ordinary system − Chief cashier gives a lump sum amount to petty cashier for a fixed time and after that fixed period petty cashier submits records for amount spent.
- Fixed system − Chief cashier gives a fixed amount to the petty cashier for a fixed time.
- Imprest system − In this system, total petty expenses are estimated for a period of time and petty cashiers get advance called imprest cash. At the end, the cashier will submit the statements to the chief cashier and the balance amount is reimbursed.
The types of petty cash book are as follows −
- Related Articles
- Explain columnar petty cash books and give its format
- Prepare a ledger balance by using columnar petty cash books
- How transactions are entered in a petty cash book?
- Explain the imprest system petty cash
- What are the stages in operating a petty cash fund and its advantages?
- How to prepare columnar petty cash book?
- How journal entries for the imprest petty cash system are recorded?
- How are contra entries done in the cash books?
- Define cash books and its types
- How postings are made in ledger accounts with single column cash books?
- State the importance and features of cash books
- What are cash crops? Give examples.
- What are Operating cash flow in accounting?
- What are the best C++ Books and Guides?
- What are the best books to learn about Blockchain?