- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are Object and Class in Perl?
There are three main terms, explained from the point of view of how Perl handles objects. The terms are object, class, and method.
- An object within Perl is merely a reference to a data type that knows what class it belongs to. The object is stored as a reference in a scalar variable. Because a scalar only contains a reference to the object, the same scalar can hold different objects in different classes.
- A class within Perl is a package that contains the corresponding methods required to create and manipulate objects.
- A method within Perl is a subroutine, defined with the package. The first argument to the method is an object reference or a package name, depending on whether the method affects the current object or the class.
Perl provides a bless() function, which is used to return a reference which ultimately becomes an object.
Defining a Class
It is very simple to define a class in Perl. A class is corresponding to a Perl Package in its simplest form. To create a class in Perl, we first build a package.
A package is a self-contained unit of user-defined variables and subroutines, which can be re-used over and over again.
Perl Packages provide a separate namespace within a Perl program which keeps subroutines and variables independent from conflicting with those in other packages.
To declare a class named Person in Perl we do −
The scope of the package definition extends to the end of the file, or until another package keyword is encountered.
- Related Articles
- What are Packages in Perl?
- Defining Class Methods in Perl
- What are Perl Scalars?
- What are Perl Modules?
- What are Perl Numerical Literals?
- What are Perl String Literals?
- Object and class in Java
- What are different Perl Data Types?
- What are the P class and NP class in TOC?
- What is the object class in Java?
- What are the Features of Perl Language?
- What are the Applications of Perl Programming?
- Difference between Object and Class in Java
- Difference Between Object and Class in C++
- What are the differences between class methods and class members in C#?