- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are flood routing and random routing?
Let us begin by understanding what flood routing is.
Flood Routing is the study of flood routing that predicts the potential flood of an area. It is used to determine the time and magnitude of flow.
Flood routing is done by using the velocity of water, flow rate and local geology of an area.
As all routes are examined, there will be at least one route that is the shortest one. All nodes that are combined directly or indirectly are visited.
Limitations of flooding
The limitations of flooding are as follows −
Flooding generates a huge number of duplicate packets.
A suitable damping mechanism must always be used.
Advantages of flooding
The advantages of flooding are as follows −
These are Highly Robust, emergency messages can be transferred (Ex: military applications)
Construct route in the virtual circuit
Flooding always determines the shortest path.
It can broadcast messages to every node.
Like Flooding, Random routing is also a simple and robust technique or routing and also has some improvements over flooding −
It results in a controlled traffic load.
The outgoing link is picked in a random fashion after eliminating the incoming link.
If the likely possibilities of choosing any link are the same, it amounts to picking the outgoing link in a round-robin style.
This is to designate probabilities to every outgoing link and to choose a link based on those probabilities. The probabilities can be determined based on the data rate. In that case, we have −
Pi=probability of choosing link i
Ri = data rate of ith link.
Both the flooding and random routing do not need any information about the network, and in the case of the random routing, the actual route may not be either the minimum-hop or the least-cost route.
- What are flooding, static routing and dynamic routing?
- Difference between Static Routing and Dynamic Routing
- What are load sensitive routing algorithms?
- What is Deterministic Routing?
- What is Adaptive Routing?
- What is Wormhole Routing?
- What is hierarchical routing?
- What is Anycast Routing?
- React.js routing
- What are the Routing Algorithms in Computer Network?
- What are static routing algorithms in computer networks?
- What are Dynamic routing algorithms in computer networks?
- Fixed and Flooding Routing algorithms
- Adaptive Routing Algorithms
- What are the Data Routing Functions in Computer Architecture?