Tk - Overview
Tk refers to Toolkit and it provides cross platform GUI widgets, which helps you in building a Graphical User Interface. It was developed as an extension to Tcl scripting language by John Ousterhout. Tk remained in development independently from Tcl with version being different to each other, before, it was made in sync with Tcl in v8.0.
Features of Tk
It is cross platform with support for Linux, Mac OS, Unix, and Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- It is an open source.
- It provides high level of extendibility.
- It is customizable.
- It is configurable.
- It provides a large number of widgets.
- It can be used with other dynamic languages and not just Tcl.
- GUI looks identical across platforms.
Applications Built in Tk
Large successful applications have been built in Tcl/Tk.
- Dashboard Soft User Interface
- Forms GUI for Relational DB
- Ad Hoc GUI for Relational DB
- Software/Hardware System Design
- Xtask - Task Management
- Musicology with Tcl and Tk
- Calender app
- Tk mail
- Tk Debugger