- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Steps involved in compilation of a COBOL-DB2 program
To prepare a COBOL-DB2 program for execution, we have to go through certain steps. These steps include pre-compilation - compilation - binding - linkediting.
The pre-compilation is done using the utility DSNHPC. In the pre-compilation step all the SQL statements which are present in the source program are replaced by corresponding COBOL calls. All the SQL statements are taken in an object known as database resource module (DBRM) and passed on to the BIND step. The modified source code is passed on to the compilation step.
In the compilation step, the modified source is compiled and the object module is generated. The compilation is done using the utility IGYCRCTL.
The object module is then passed to the link editing step, where object module is link edited and executable load module is generated using IEWL utility.
The DBRM which was generated in the first step is binded to a package or directly binded to a plan. In case the DBRM is binded to a package then there is an additional step to bind the package into a plan. The BIND is done using the utility IKJEFT01.
- Related Articles
- What are the steps involved to use a CURSOR in any COBOL-DB2 program?
- Implementation of restart logic in a COBOL-DB2 program
- How to precompile a COBOL-DB2 program?
- Purpose and usage of SAVEPOINT in COBOL-DB2 program
- Implementation of a table level locks in a COBOL-DB2 program during program execution
- Impact of database downtime on the COBOL-DB2 program
- How to execute a COBOL-DB2 program PROGA of plan PLANA?
- How to store a NULL value in a particular column of a DB2 table using COBOL-DB2 program?
- How can you revert all the DB2 table changes done in a COBOL-DB2 program?
- Implementation of a table level locks in a COBOL-DB2 program during SQL execution
- How NON-REPEATABLE READ & PHANTOMS impact functioning of a COBOL-DB2 program?
- Behaviour of a COBOL-DB2 program when number of locks exceed the limit
- How to use SQLCA in a COBOL-DB2 program? What is the purpose of SQLCA?
- What is the purpose and usage of “WHERE CURRENT OF” clause in a COBOL-DB2 program?
- What is the purpose and usage of “FOR UPDATE OF” clause in a COBOL-DB2 program