- Python Pillow Tutorial
- Python Pillow - Home
- Python Pillow - Overview
- Python Pillow - Environment Setup
- Python Pillow - Using Image Module
- Python Pillow - Working with Images
- Python Pillow - Creating Thumbnails
- Python Pillow - Merging Images
- Python Pillow - Blur an Image
- Python Pillow - Cropping an Image
- Python Pillow - Flip and Rotate Images
- Python Pillow - Resizing an Image
- Python Pillow - Creating a Watermark
- Python Pillow - Adding Filters to an Image
- Python Pillow - Colors on an Image
- Python Pillow - ImageDraw Module
- Python Pillow - Image Sequences
- Python Pillow - Writing Text on Image
- Python Pillow - M L with Numpy
- Python Pillow Useful Resources
- Python Pillow - Quick Guide
- Python Pillow - Useful Resources
- Python Pillow - Discussion
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Python Pillow - Creating a Watermark
You have noticed that, some of the online photos are watermarked. Watermark is definitely one of the better ways to protect your images from misuse. Also, it is recommended to add watermark to your creative photos, before sharing them on social media to prevent it from being misused.
Watermark is generally some text or logo overlaid on the photo that identifies who took the photo or who owns the rights to the photo.
Pillow package allows us to add watermarks to your images. For adding watermark to our image, we need “Image”, “ImageDraw” and “ImageFont” modules from pillow package.
The ‘ImageDraw’ module adds functionality to draw 2D graphics onto new or existing images. The ‘ImageFont’ module is employed for loading bitmap, TrueType and OpenType font files.
Following python program demonstrates how to add watermark to an image using python pillow −
#Import required Image library from PIL import Image, ImageDraw, ImageFont #Create an Image Object from an Image im = Image.open('images/boy.jpg') width, height = im.size draw = ImageDraw.Draw(im) text = "sample watermark" font = ImageFont.truetype('arial.ttf', 36) textwidth, textheight = draw.textsize(text, font) # calculate the x,y coordinates of the text margin = 10 x = width - textwidth - margin y = height - textheight - margin # draw watermark in the bottom right corner draw.text((x, y), text, font=font) im.show() #Save watermarked image im.save('images/watermark.jpg')
Suppose, following is the input image boy.jpg located in the folder image.
After executing the above program, if you observe the output folder you can see the resultant watermark.jpg file with watermark on it as shown below −