- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
mysqld - The MySQL Server
Let us understand about ‘mysqld’, the MySQL server −
The mysqld is also known as MySQL Server. It is a single multithreaded program that does most of the work in a MySQL installation. It doesn’t spawn additional processes.
MySQL Server helps manage the access to the MySQL data directory which contains databases and tables. The data directory is the default location for other information like log files and status files.
Note − Certain installation packages may contain a debugging version of the server by the name mysqld-debug.
This version can be invoked instead of the mysqld for debugging support, memory allocation checking, as well as trace file support.
Starting the MySQL Server
When MySQL server starts, it will listen to the network connections from client programs as well as help manage the access to databases on behalf of these clients.
To see options specified at startup, the below command can be run −
shell> mysqld --verbose --help
MySQL Server has many system variables that can affect its operation as it runs. System variables can be set up during server startup. Many of them can be changed during runtime so as to effect dynamic server reconfiguration.
MySQL Server has a set of status variables that help provide information about its operation. The status of these variables can be monitored to access runtime performance characteristics.
- MySQL Server and Server-Startup Programs
- MySQL Server port number?
- Connecting to and Disconnecting from the MySQL Server
- Command Options for Connecting to the MySQL Server
- Connecting to the MySQL Server Using Command Options
- How to restart MySQL server?
- Starting and Stopping MySQL Server
- mysqld_safe - MySQL Server Startup Script
- mysql.server - MySQL Server Startup Script
- mysql_plugin - Configure MySQL Server Plugins
- MySQL Client Server-Side Help
- How to copy tables or databases from one MySQL server to another MySQL server?
- How can I check the version of MySQL Server?
- How can I check the status of MySQL Server?
- The equivalent of SQL Server function SCOPE_IDENTITY() in MySQL?