- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Message Passing Model of Process Communication
Process communication is the mechanism provided by the operating system that allows processes to communicate with each other. This communication could involve a process letting another process know that some event has occurred or transferring of data from one process to another. One of the models of process communication is the message passing model.
Message passing model allows multiple processes to read and write data to the message queue without being connected to each other. Messages are stored on the queue until their recipient retrieves them. Message queues are quite useful for interprocess communication and are used by most operating systems.
A diagram that demonstrates message passing model of process communication is given as follows −
In the above diagram, both the processes P1 and P2 can access the message queue and store and retrieve data.
Advantages of Message Passing Model
Some of the advantages of message passing model are given as follows −
- The message passing model is much easier to implement than the shared memory model.
- It is easier to build parallel hardware using message passing model as it is quite tolerant of higher communication latencies.
Disadvantage of Message Passing Model
The message passing model has slower communication than the shared memory model because the connection setup takes time.
- Related Articles
- Message Passing vs Shared Memory Process communication Models
- Shared Memory Model of Process Communication
- Differentiate between shared memory and message passing model in OS.
- Process and Types of Communication
- What is Basic Communication Model?
- What is message passing technique in OS?
- Process Communication in Operating System
- What is Inter process communication?
- Compare and analyze any two major variations of message passing systems
- What is inter process communication (IPC)?
- IPC Problems Caused by Message Passing in a Distributed System
- What is the Routing in Message Passing Networks in Computer Architecture?
- Difference between Shared Memory Multiprocessors and Message-Passing Multiprocessors in Computer Architecture.
- What are the two methods to implement inter process communication?
- What are the Network protocol requirements in the communication process?