Kumbhalgarh Fort - History
Rana Kumbha constructed the Kumbhalgarh Fort in 1458AD. It took around fifteen years to compete the construction. The fort was built on the ruins of Jain king Samprati, the grandson of Ashoka. The construction of the fort separated Mewar from Marwar. The Rajput kings used the fort as a refuge if they feel danger in their forts or palaces.
Kumbhalgarh Fort under Rana Kumbha
Rana Kumbha belonged to the Sisodia Rajput clan and gave the task to Mandan to design the architecture of the fort. The kingdom of Rana Kumbha was extended to Gwalior from Mewar which also included a large part of Madhya Pradesh. Besides Kumbhalgarh Fort, Rana Kumbha built 31 more forts to protect his kingdom.
Kumbhalgarh Fort under Rana Uday Singh
When Rana Uday Singh was a baby, he was brought to this fort during the siege of Chittorgarh Fort in 1535. Panna Dhai brought after the death of his father. He was the king who founded the city of Udaipur during his reign.
Attacks on Kumbhalgarh Fort
Alauddin Khilji attacked the fort and invaded it in 1303. Another attack was done by Ahmed Shah of Gujarat but it was made unsuccessful. Ahmed Shah destroyed the Banmata temple as it was believed that the deity saved the fort from attacks. Mahmud Khilji attacked the fort in 1458, 1459, and 1467 but could not succeed in winning the fort.
The combined forces of Emperor Akbar, Raja Uday Singh of Marwar, Raja Man Singh of Amer, and Mirzas of Gujarat also attacked the fort. The Rajputs surrendered due to shortage of water. Shahbaz Khan, a general of Emperor Akbar, took control of the fort. In 1818, Marathas took over the fort.