- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How to disable landscape mode in Android?
Android supports two orientations as portrait and landscape. we can disable orientation in android application. This example demonstrate about how to disable landscape mode in Android.
Step 1 − Create a new project in Android Studio, go to File ⇒ New Project and fill all required details to create a new project.
Step 2 − Add the following code to res/layout/activity_main.xml.
<?xml version = "1.0" encoding = "utf-8"?> <LinearLayout xmlns:android = "http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android" xmlns:tools = "http://schemas.android.com/tools" android:layout_width = "match_parent" android:layout_height = "match_parent" tools:context = ".MainActivity" android:background = "#dde4dd"> <EditText android:id = "@+id/editText" android:layout_width = "match_parent" android:layout_height = "wrap_content" /> </LinearLayout>
In the above code, it contains linear layout and editext. it going to support both landscape and portrait as shown below -
The above output indicates about landscape mode
The above output indicates about portrait mode.
To disable landscape mode need to add screenOrientation tag in manifest.xml as shown below -
<?xml version = "1.0" encoding = "utf-8"?> <manifest xmlns:android = "http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android" package = "com.example.andy.myapplication"> <application android:allowBackup = "true" android:icon = "@mipmap/ic_launcher" android:label = "@string/app_name" android:roundIcon = "@mipmap/ic_launcher_round" android:supportsRtl = "true" android:theme = "@style/AppTheme"> <activity android:name = ".MainActivity" android:screenOrientation = "portrait"> <intent-filter> <action android:name = "android.intent.action.MAIN" /> <category android:name = "android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" /> </intent-filter> </activity> </application> </manifest>
In the above code we have given screenOrientation as portrait means MainActivity going to support only portrait mode only . If you want to develop an application in portrait mode, add screenOrientation inside application tag.
Let's try to run your application. I assume you have connected your actual Android Mobile device with your computer. To run the app from android studio, open one of your project's activity files and click Run icon from the toolbar. Select your mobile device as an option and then check your mobile device which will display your default screen −
In the above result it is showing only portrait mode. now turn your device it not going to change the view according to orientation.
- How to check activity In landscape mode?
- How to disable Bluetooth in android?
- How to disable wifi in android?
- How to disable orientation change in Android?
- How to disable ScrollView Programmatically in Android?
- How to disable GridView scrolling in Android?
- How to disable Mobile Data on Android?
- How to enable / Disable Enhanced Protection Mode in Internet Explorer using PowerShell?
- How to disable action bar tittle in android?
- How to disable action bar permanently in Android?
- How do I specify different layouts for portrait and landscape orientations in Android?
- How to enable/disable the GPS programmatically in Android?
- How to disable GridView scrolling in Android using Kotlin?
- Android Debug Bridge Mode
- How to disable Home and other system buttons in Android?