- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How many bits are used to represent Unicode, ASCII, UTF-16, and UTF-8 characters in java?
In general, data is stored in a computer in the form of bits (1 or, 0). There are various coding schemes available specifying the set of bytes represented by each character.
ASCII − Stands for American Standards Code for Information Interchange. It is developed by American standards association and is the mostly used coding system. It represents characters using 7 bits and has includes 128 characters: upper and lowercase Latin alphabet, the numbers 0-9, and some extra characters).
Unicode (UTF) − Stands for Unicode Translation Format. It is developed by The Unicode Consortium. if you want to create documents that use characters from multiple character sets, you will be able to do so using the single Unicode character encodings. It provides 3 types of encodings.
- UTF-8 − It comes in 8-bit units (bytes), a character in UTF8 can be from 1 to 4 bytes long, making UTF8 variable width.
- UTF-16 − It comes in 16-bit units (shorts), it can be 1 or 2 shorts long, making UTF16 variable width.
- UTF-32 − It comes in 32-bit units (longs). It is a fixed-width format and is always 1 "long" in length.
Representation in Java
The following table lists the number of bits used in Java to represent various coding standards.
|ASCII||7 bits (represented as 8 bits).|
|UTF-8||8, 16 and, 18bit patterns.|
|UTF-16||16 bits and larger bit patterns.|
- Related Articles
- Convert Unicode to UTF-8 in Java
- Convert UTF-8 to Unicode in Java
- How to represent Unicode strings as UTF-8 encoded strings using Tensorflow and Python?
- How to read and write unicode (UTF-8) files in Python?
- Convert ASCII TO UTF-8 Encoding in PHP?
- Convert String to UTF-8 bytes in Java
- UTF-8 Validation in C++
- How can Tensorflow text be used to split the UTF-8 strings in Python?
- How to convert wrongly encoded data to UTF-8 in MySQL?
- How to convert an MySQL database characterset and collation to UTF-8?
- Change MySQL default character set to UTF-8 in my.cnf?
- Make PHP pathinfo() return the correct filename if the filename is UTF-8
- ASCII vs. UNICODE
- How to use Unicode and Special Characters in Tkinter?