- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How did the Windows operating system evolve and compare Windows 10 and Ubuntu?
Microsoft Windows has had nine major versions since its first release in 1985.
Original Windows 1
It was released in November 1985. It was the first true attempt at a graphical user interface in 16-bit.
Two years after Windows 1, Microsoft released Windows 2 in December 1987. Microsoft Excel and Word also made their first appearance running on Windows 2. It has the ability to minimize or maximize windows instead of Zooming.
It was released in 1990. The first windows that required a hard drive launched in 1990. This is the first windows that stand challenging to Apple’s Macintosh. It has the ability to run MS-DOS programs in windows.
It was released in 1992. It requires 1 MB of RAM to run and introduces a CD-ROM.
It was released in August 1995. It introduces “plug and play” and also introduces 32-bit environment.
It was released in June 1998. It introduces back and forward buttons and address bar.
It was released in February 2000. It is the first window to support hibernation.
It was released in October 2001. It is based on Windows NT like Windows 2000 but brought consumer friendly elements.
It was released in October 2009. It is faster and more stable.
It was released in October 2012 and is faster than the previous version. It has a touch friendly start screen which introduces a start button.
It was released on September 30th 2014. It has interesting features like the ability to switch between a keyboard and mouse mode and tablet mode.
Windows 10 and Ubuntu
Let us see the comparison between Windows 10 and Ubuntu.
Ubuntu came into life in October 2004. It plays an important part in the adoption of Linux on desktop and laptops.
Let us see the comparison in terms of features.
|Process management||Process management function creates a process with a single thread.||Starting a process as foreground process and background process, It uses process id (Pid).|
|File management||Windows file explorer is used to create hierarchical folder structure.||Most operations are performed on files known as tree like structures example − regular files, directories.|
- Difference Between Linux and Windows Operating System
- What is the history of the windows operating system and MSDOS?
- System Calls in Unix and Windows
- How to block ports on the Windows Operating System using PowerShell?
- What is the Windows 2000 Operating System in Computer Network?
- How to open a port in the Windows Operating System using PowerShell?
- Windows 10 Toast Notifications with Python
- Run Linux Natively on Windows 10
- How to find the location of installed packages in R in windows operating system?
- How microsofts surface pro 4 and windows 10 beat apple and google in productivity
- What are the components of 'user interface' of Windows Operating System?
- Difference between DOS and Windows
- Difference between Linux and Windows
- How Microsoft’s Surface Pro 4 and Windows 10 beat Apple and Google in productivity?
- How is IPC implemented in the Android, MAC, Windows Operating systems?