- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Explain the PL/SQL Engine in DBMS
PL/SQL is oracle’s procedural language extension to SQL. PL/SQL allows you to mix SQL statements with procedural statements like IF statements. Looping structure etc, PL/SQL is the superset of SQL. It uses SQL for data retrieval and manipulation and uses its own statement for data processing.
Pl/SQL program units are generally categorized as follows −
This is a PL/SQL block that appears within your application. In many applications PL/SQL blocks can appear where SQL statements can appear. Such blocks are called Anonymous blocks.
This is a PL/SQL block that is stored in the database with a name. Application programs are executing these procedures using the name. Oracle allows you to create functions, which are the same as procedures but return a value, and packages, which are a collection of procedures and functions.
Every PL/SQL block is first executed by the PL/SQL engine. This is the engine that compiles and executes Pl/SQL blocks.
PL/SQL engine is available in oracle server and certain oracle tools such as oracle forms and oracle reports. It executes all procedural statements of a PL/SQL of the block, but sends SQL commands to SQL statement executors in the oracle RDBMS.
That means PL/SQL separates SQL commands from PL/SQL commands and executes PL/SQL commands using procedural statement executor, which is a part of the PL/SQL engine.
- Block of PL/SQL in Oracle DBMS
- Difference between SQL and PL/SQL
- What is PL/SQL?
- Difference Between T-SQL and PL-SQL
- Reverse a Number in PL/SQL
- Print pyramid of tutorialspoint in PL/SQL
- Program for Fibonacci numbers in PL/SQL
- Floyd's triangle in PL/SQL
- How to capture Oracle errors in PL/SQL?
- Explain the working of a turbojet engine.
- Find the factorial of a number in pl/sql using C++.
- Find the area and perimeter of right triangle in PL/SQL
- Explain the characteristics of DBMS?
- Explain the architecture of DBMS?
- Explain the components of DBMS?