- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Explain the advantages and disadvantages of the TCP/IP model
TCP/IP signifies the transmission control protocol/Internet Protocol. It was created by the Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA, later DARPA) in the late 1970s.
It is a collection of communication protocol. Moreover, it involves collection and methods for managing packet transport, media access, session interaction, data transfer, email and terminal emulation.
Advantages of TCP/IP Model
The main advantages of TCP/IP are as follows −
It is a broadly accepted model which can deploy effectively in all the practical networking issues.
TCP / IP can also enable cross-platform communications among the heterogeneous networks.
It supports connection-oriented reliable service. It defines that it maintains the transfer of data packets. If the data packet is missing across the web, thus the TCP will retransmit the lost packets.
It removes the congestion by using a network congestion avoidance algorithm that contains multiple procedures, including additive increase/multiplicative decrease (AIMD), slow start, and congestion window.
It supports error disclosure by using checksum and error control by using Go Back or ARP protocol.
Disadvantages of TCP/IP Model
The main disadvantages of TCP/IP are as follows −
The model does not characterise the terms of service, interface, and protocol.
The TCP/IP model is not shared and is appropriated to represent any protocol stack other than TCP/IP.
The host-to-network layer is not a layer at all in the ordinary sense that the method is used in the framework of layered protocols.
The TCP/IP model does not determine the physical and data link layers.
TCP / IP is complex to set up and maintain as compared to the Internetwork Packet Exchange/Sequenced Packet Exchange (IPX/SPX) or NetBIOS Extended User Interface (NetBEUI).
It can improve a considerable overhead as every structure obtains its TCP header. Therefore, fragmentation through the router improves the overhead.
- Advantages and Disadvantages of the TCP/IP Model
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of the OSI reference Model
- The TCP/IP Reference Model
- Advantages and Disadvantages of the OSI Model
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of DBMS?
- The Transport Layer in TCP/IP Model
- The Application Layer in TCP/IP Model
- What is the TCP/IP Reference Model?
- The Internet Layer in the TCP/IP Model
- OSI vs. TCP/IP Reference Model
- Difference between OSI and TCP/IP Reference Model
- The Host-to-Network Layer in TCP/IP Model
- What is the hedge ratio? Explain its advantages and disadvantages.
- Explain the TCP Service Model in Computer Network
- Computer Networks – An Overview of TCP/IP Model